where to dump clippings, bushes, etc

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Juan91, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Juan91

Juan91 LawnSite Senior Member

i have always put these things out by my house, but now with the business expanding, im lost as to where to put the stuff, my town and all surrounding don't have a dump site,

so where can i take it for removal?

thanks,
    Juan

2. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

What town are you in?

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Ask a local farmer.

4. Juan91

im in lake zurich oak....60047

5. oakwdman

oakwdman LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd call local companies and ask them, couldnt hurt and at least you'll get some networking in.

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

As far as grass clippings go, why exactly are you collecting them?
    Can't you mulch &/or side discharge more of your properties?
    Collecting & hauling away grass clippings essentially wastes X% of the translocated value of whatever turf fertilizer's being applied.
    Not to mention the fact that dumping grass clippings in a non-composting situation is ethically backwards & environmentally irresponsible.

If your clients INSIST that you must collect & haul away clippings, have you the room to begin a fledgling compost operation? :confused:
    The conversion of biomass into fuels will become one of the fastest growing industries in this nation very soon.
    Never too early to start practicing! :waving:

Treeline brush & torn-out old landscape material shouldn't be dumped in piles either. It should ideally be run through a large chipper & made into crude 'walking trail' grade chip-mulch.
    I suggest that you take 15 minutes to call around or search the 'net to see if the township and/or county you live in has 1 or 2 central drop-off points for stuff like this.
    A lot of them (at least in OH, KY & IN) won't charge for organic recycling drop-offs so long as you pass a visual inspection, both at entry & the dump site. They know charging for drop-offs discourages participation in many minds.
    And of course, the REAL money's going to be made at a much later date when the final product (either chips, or part of a larger composition of compost) is sold back to contractors, municipalities, parks, stable managers & large estate owners.

7. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Can I ask what you do with said materials? Just curious.

8. Juan91

@marcos

1. im asked to bag the clippings, i charge more for disposal and time....
    2. im looking for a composter for the grass
    3. i have called around everywhere!

9. rcallese

rcallese LawnSite Member

Just getting starte myself and having the same issue. 60+ bags of debris sitting in my trailer right now. I'm taking it to Thelen Sand and Gravel on 173 in Antioch. $14 a yard or $1 a bag. It's expensive but I need my trailer emptied. I'm going to keep looking for a better deal.

10. sinkholes.