Where to Dump Grass,Leaves etc

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Enzo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

I had a question on where I could dump grass and all that stuff. My town has a dump, but for a commercial pass it cost $300 for every 1/2 cubic yard. The lady told me it was about the size of an average garbage can our town uses. I was thinking of buying a unit where you throw your grass in it and turn it a few times and it decomposed the materials. Does anyone know what that is called because i have seen it before.
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Holy HELL. I think for that price, I'd make a big ass pile behind the shop... Heck, it's free here and a couple guys do that anyway LOL. Seriosuly though, find some rural landowner that is willing to allow you to dump on his place, or find someone with cows that will let you dump in their pasture.
  3. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

thats what i am going to have to do
  4. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

your local land fill should not charge you for dumping organic matter. That is how all of the one around this area are.
  5. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

I wish thats how it was here. Our town tries to get money any way they can.
  6. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

$300 FOR A HALF YARD! That can't be right, the dump here charges $12/yd and the composting facility charges $30/ton. What do the construction outfits in your area do with their demolition waste? I don't see how anyone could afford to do business at that price.

Anyway, I know a guy who makes a pile behind his shop and burns it. Or you could find somebody with some land where you could dump. I dump in a guy's pasture and his cows eat it.
  7. Enzo

Enzo LawnSite Member

Yeah I am going to look around for a farm or something where I can dump over here. I think the lady I talked to was on some type of drug or something.
  8. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

LoL. Not here thank goodness. Well i wish ya the best of luck finding somewhere.
  9. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

i was lucky when it comes to dumping. i found an organic little berry farm that lets me dump and he turns it over and eventually makes great fertilizer for his berries/crops
  10. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just find an out of the way spot by your shop and compost it. Then sell the compost to your customers.payup