where to dump?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by miketina, Mar 6, 2007.

1. miketina

miketina LawnSite Member

I really dont want to offer the service of hauling away grass clippings and such but might have to to aquire more customers. Question is, where do I take it to? How much extra do I charge? Did a yahoo search for landfills in m area but come up with nothing. I am in Illinois in the chicagoland area. Help please.

2. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,
    ask a local nursery if they take your clippings\leaves. We have quite a few here that take them no charge to use as compost and then sell it off and make $$. The nice thing is they allow you to dump any time and day of the week, even late at night.

Mike D

3. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

In my area the local dump takes it for free, as long as theres nothing else in it. They take it because they use it to sell eventually anfter it decomposes im assuming. Maybe try looking around more, but being in the Chicago area that might b hard to find some one close that will take that amount on a regualr basis.

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

just dump them....wherever....I mean, It's Illinois!

Get your guy to ride in the trailer along the cowfields.

He has a backpack blower on, and is just kickin the grass into the wind as you drive along.

If you're near a city, find a local river and float the clippings. Giveth back to the earth from which it cameth.:cool2:

5. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Getting to be a big problem around here. Local municipalities have started to put up gates and check licenses to make sure you are an area resident. One guy had been letting people come in to dump grass and leaves for years and they shut him down. People in new apartments nearby complained of the odor. Don't quite know what to do this year...

6. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

i was searching online for you to see if there was a public dump in your area and couldnt find any either, I did find this though on the Illionois EPA website:

Landscape Waste

Landscape waste has been banned from landfills since July l, 1990. There are many landscape waste disposal options:

* Leave grass clippings and leaves on the lawn as a nutrient.
    * Mulch grass clippings, leaves, and wood chips for lawn and garden application.
    * Take landscape waste to a permitted compost facility.
    * Participate in community landscape waste collections.
    * Construct an on-site, well maintained, household compost bin. Use the compost as a soil amendment.
    (here is the link if you want it: http://www.epa.state.il.us/land/open-dumps/index.html )

I was quite surprised to read that landscape waste is banned from landfills. Here we have a dump we can use and they charge like $19/ton for yard waste, it comes in quite handy and I am there about once a week...

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Landfills must be "lined" and they are very expensive and getting scarce. Who wants a landfill nearby...hard to get approval.

SO...landfills should not be filled with harmless landscape debris, and reserved for actual trash.

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

my local town stopped allowing grass clippings about 4-5 years ago due to the high concentration of chemicals in and on the grass. it might take a while, but you never know if will become a national trend. food for thought. i dont even offer bagging of grass, its not worth the time. i run a full schedual without it, although i use one for fall cleanups

9. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a landscape supply place that take all of ours. You have to pay thou a certain amount for each kind of debri and the tonage. Leaves are FREE but grass, limbs, and sticks cost you.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Mulch! or do it old style and side discharge like everyone did years ago before bagging was the in thing. Its getting harder and harder to get rid of things like grass, trees, shrubs and other things you might need to get rid of. Our landfill quit taking grass and other things years ago because it was filling the landfill to fast and the city wont take it either and neither will other nursery company's. If a customer want their yard bagged see if they have a place to dump it, most do. Unless you own property outside of town that you can dump on your just out of luck in most towns these day's.