1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

where to find conventions / tax tips

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by trevor99montero, Mar 27, 2011.

1. trevor99montero

trevor99montero LawnSite Member

Been in business for about 4 years now and business is pretty good. I feel like at the end of the year when its tax time im giving a huge chunk of my money away. Im considering buying a home soon so i will be able to deduct a home office. Ive heard if you attend a convention or shows related to your business you can deduct travel expenses. Hotel, meals, travel, etc. But i can never find any solid info on lawn and garden conventions around the U.S.
    Anyone know of any tax tips and where to find quality H&G conventions?

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Well you can deduct business expenses like training / education / fees to trade shows, college classes etc. SOund s like you need to get yourself an accountant to advise you on what you can and cant deduct. You should be attended trade show s regularly anyway, much to learn in this industry and it's always growing and developing.

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Get involved with your local trade association, they may even put on a trade show as well as neighboring states trade shows and associations. I'm in NJ and I'll go to shows in PA, NY and even the one in Boston. Always something to be taken away from these events and knowlege is power.

4. trevor99montero

trevor99montero LawnSite Member

how do you hear about the out of state shows?