Where to find fuel usage specs for engines?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by kc2006, Jun 6, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone know where to find the average fuel usage of engines on mowers? I've looked everywhere even Kohlers site and can't find anything. I want to compair a few engines. The 27hp kohler I have is eating alittle more then 1.75 gallons an hour :cry: I thought it wouldn't be that much, then you have the 15hp unit on my w/b that uses about .5 gallon an hour, mucho difference.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i get about 1 gallon to the hour depending, sometimes .8 gallons to the hour.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure what the hours to gallons are but I here many lcos get better gallons to hour on the 25 kawasaki then a 22 or higher kohler.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a John Deere 717A a few weeks ago, with a 19hp Kaw. I think it is burning well over 1 gal/hr, more than I expected. My 15hp ProCommand Kohler (single cylinder) seems to burn about 0.6 gal/hr. I'm surprised at the big difference too -- four more hp, at nearly twice the fuel consumption. Are my observations for 19hp Kaw consistent with what others are running?

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

your 15hp sounds about right, mine was getting alittle better then .5 an hour.

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my 25kawi gets around 1.1-1.25 gal per hour on my Gravely 260Z unless its really chuggin

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My 19 Kawi sucked the fuel for the first 200 hrs. My thoughts were holy smokes this thing drinks. Now I can run aprox 8-10 hr day or 14-18/day average and use aprox five gal of fuel. July 17 I will have had my Z-Cat for one yr. it now has almost 600hrs on it. My 06 SWZ 17 Kawi now is nearing 70hrs. But there again with the SWZ 48" with med lift blades I can run 14 yards aprox three gals of fuel. Now with the high lift blades I used aprox one gal more. My personal experience is that high lifts are not worth $3.00/day more to run.