1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

where to find info on fert. and spraying

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Aaron Klemme, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Aaron Klemme

Aaron Klemme LawnSite Member

I was wondering where one could find information on how to, when, what, and ways about fertilizing and spraying lawns. I have not done any of this in the past, other than a few small lawns and my home yard. I have been in the lawn buisness for quite some time but I have never specialized or advertized any fertilizing or spraying in the past. This year I plan to offer this as a service. I can't say I know much about it but that is why I have all of you great guy to lead me in the right direction. I don't want any advice such as "keep it simple stupid" or "stick to what you know" because I'm very determined to get into doing this along with athe other services I offer.
    I need to know from you fellows what and where I can possible find books or information on how to fertilize and spray lawns. I would like it if there was a place I can find info online because its free...which is a plus. But any information such as bookss is great, if I knew the best places to find them.
    Also, I was wondering if you guys would also be able to give me some info of the best types of equiptment to use within a decent price range....remember I won't have a huge amount of buissness in this area the first year....so I think. Bidding info will also be good. Anywayz all the info you guys can give me would be great because I'm in the dark on this. I'm sorry I'm asking you guys to type out a n entire buisness but I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks a bunch guys.

Aaron Klemme:confused:
  2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello, Aaron. Welcome to LS. There are two years of postings in LawnSite, just waiting to tell you what you need. Spend a few hours in searching points of interest to you about anything you seek. It's better to search for info, then ask questions if you don't understand something, because all the good info already posted will usually not be repeated.

You will need a license from the state to apply pesticides, and maybe some of the IL guys will post that for you, but then again, that info has probably already been given in the past.
  3. Green Tech

Green Tech LawnSite Member

Contact your local county University of Illinois Extension Agent, and purchase the "2002 Commercial Landscape & Turfgrass Pest Management Handbook".

Also the "Home, Yard, & Garden Pest Guide" University of Illinois Extension Circular 1374.

The UofI Extension people conduct Commercial Applicator Clinics all over the state January to March. Call the Williamson County Extension agent in Marion, Illinois, and find out when the Clinic will be taught in Marion, Il. All you have to do is pay your money and learn! This clinic is normally in February.