Where to find used String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Where would you look for used string trimmers, preferably ones that are not working? I like to work on them in my spare time and can always use a spare. I find it rewarding to fix up a trimmer or blower that someone thinks is worn out or is PO's at because it won't start, so they give it to me and I get years more use out of it (only happened once). Not looking to spend much to acquire any unit and I don't care to pour a bunch of money into it either other than a few parts here and there. Ebay isn't much help because people are willing to pay too much for whatever reason, neither are local pawn shops because all they have is homeowner junk. Any advice?

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I PM'd you.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

A friend has a small engine shop and I don’t know how, but he always has a lot of used equipment to sell or swap, most of it needs repaired, mostly a lot of homeowner equipment, push mowers and older riders. He also has a lot of trimmers that need some lovin’, several are older commercial ones. If you want I can take a look in the shop and see what all commercial trimmers he has and what he’d want for them “as is”. Shipping would likely run you around $20 provided we could find a box for something like that. Let me know if your interested.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

FSG, thanks for the input. At this point I'm looking for ideas on where I might find some locally, mostly to save on shipping costs (like I mentioned, this isn't something I want to spend a lot of money on). One of the problems with Ebay is that it will cost about $20 per unit just for shipping, and that is one top of the unit price. I think I'll pass on your offer to consult your friend at the shop, but that is very generous of you. Thank you. I had thought about checking at local shops but figured they wouldn't have anything. I'll that reconsider that after having read your post and give a few local shops a call tommorrow (thanks again to you).

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

How about placing a small classified ad in a local paper for equipment wanted?

6. luke125

luke125 LawnSite Member

why don't you start a small engine repair shop it seems like you have fun fixing things and you can make money doing it

7. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

there's been a couple of dead Shindaiwa's on ebay

8. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Shindawia's don't die

9. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Your welcome. I've found that "mom and pop" type shops are more likely to have this stuff. Dealers almost always won't. Try flea markets and as mentioned, paper ad. Talk to local LCO's see what they may have collecting dust in their garage or shed. I got a 1 1/2 year old Echo SRM2400 trimmer from a friend LCO he got new and hardly used because he liked his Stihl's better. All it needed was a tweak on the carb jets. Got it for $45 now runs like new. I cut the shaft and took the coupler off of my split boom (old worn out and broken) and screwed it on, swapped the drive cables, and now have a like new split boom (old unit engine/shaft now for parts)
    Moral of story, make friends with lco's LOL. Your welcome.

Turfdoc's right, Shindaiwa's don't die. I have a 1990 Shin. T18 I got from a customer for $25, needed carb tweaking looks runs like new now (1 owner residential use). It's my favorite for regular grass trimming. Lightweight and quiet. I just have a way of falling into deals LOL. Those are just two of my "good deal stories" LOL