Where to find used String Trimmers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pecker, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted this on the Lawn Care forum too, just so you know it is the same post in another place.

Where would you look for used string trimmers, preferably ones that are not working? I like to work on them in my spare time(don't get me wrong, I don't claim to be a mechanic) and can always use a spare. I find it rewarding to fix up a trimmer or blower that someone thinks is worn out or is PO's at because it won't start, so they give it to me and I get years more use out of it (only happened once). Not looking to spend much to acquire any unit and I don't care to pour a bunch of money into it either other than a few parts here and there. Ebay isn't much help because people are willing to pay too much for whatever reason, neither are local pawn shops because all they have is homeowner junk. Any advice?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I keep an eye out on trash days. I find them now and then. I fix them up and sell them at garage sales.

3. Pecker

Thank you.

4. Weeder

Weeder LawnSite Member

Wait til Spring and the grass is really growing for a few weeks, then ride around on Saturday and Sunday. You'll find many mowers and trimmers that way. They won't start and they will toss them on the pile for pickup with the trash in the more affluent neighborhoods. You could also put an ad in the little classified papers saying that you will haul off non-working weed trimmers and equipment for free.

5. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

Weeder has the idea that works for me. I run a paid classified for a month around twice a year, early spring and late fall. I word it "Wanted Dead or Alive, your lawn mowers, weedeaters etc. whatever you are after. So many times they will try to get to much for the stuff but many will end up letting you have it if you will come and get it. You would not believe what a couple thousand dollars will get you. I rarely pay more than 5.00 for a trimmer unless its a major name. This tactic also leads to many calls from people looking for parts etc. and they have called just the right place......Mike

6. Pecker

Thanks, Weeder and Mike.

7. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

junktank.com, lots of used good landscaping stuff

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I sent you a PM about my trimmers I have for sale.