where to get a backsaver

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lamblawnscaping, Apr 25, 2002.

1. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Just bought another trailer and the gate seems to weigh about 400 pounds. I need a backsaver or some kind of lift assist. Does anyone know where to get one?

2. mowman22

mowman22 LawnSite Member

www. ez-gate.com

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Keep in mind the Backsaver comes with 2 seperate lifts (which is why it's so much more expensive then the EZ-Gate).
    But this means taking up both top rails of your trailer leaving less room for trimmer racks and other stuff. Plus I think they are longer then the EZ-Gate too which means even more space taken up.

But if youre gate is really heavy, I guess having the 2 seperate lifts could be good. I'd ask EZ-Gate what the limit is with thiers first.

BTW, I love my EZ-Gate!

4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Jungle jims has one.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

WOW! Are all these the same as the EZ GATE? It seems they wouldn't ba able to do this, with the patent on it. I mean, ANY design resembling that would seem like it would be too close.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I wasn't aware that Jungle Jim had one, I'll have to check it out.

Runner, the Backsaver is similar to the EZ-Gate but they use square tubing and two units instead of one. One unit for each rail. Not sure of other differences they may have.

7. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I looked at the ezgate website and they were rated for 180 lbs I think. I am serious when I say this gate weighs almost 400 lbs. I think it was designed for skid steers and other heavy equipment. Anyway to lift it by yourself is very hard on the back. You have to get it up to your knees brace it with your knees, reposition yourself and heave it up the rest of the way. Then you have to balance it with one hand while you grab the brace and put it in place. I'm not small either. I wouldn't like to do it more than once a day, actually I wouldn't want to do it again. Does anyone know if backsaver has a website?

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Sears, or any other hardware store and here is what to get :

1 garage spring
    2 u-bolts
    2 threaded coupling links

Total cost under $15

throw in a piece of safety cable to go through the spring if that interests you.

I have done this and I can get the gate up to my waste by flipping it up with my foot. Then lift the rest of the way with the spring assisting until shoulder height. on the way down I can just about let go at my waiste and it will touchdown with a light bang on the ground.

jeffyr