where to get a fertilizer licence in connecticut

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by mike9497, Oct 21, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

where do i get one is there a web site i can look up or something?

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

East Haven Landscape Supply offers pest. classes. I think they are accepting registrations now. Give them a call. They do the class, then you go to Hartford to take the test, both written and oral.

3. Same place you got you biz license......Wait a minute...... It is included in your biz license.

Now to apply pesticides and herbicides you need to get with your dept. of agraculture.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ct pesticide licensing is done through the Department of Environmental Protection.;)

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Mike,

In CT you do not have to take a course if you choose no to. Though it is highly recommended.
    To make the appointment call either Linda Schmidt or Chris Mullin at 860-424-3369.
    Don't be too disappointed with the first take. We have the most difficult test in the country. Though it's not as bad as it used to be.
    Free access to the libraries (there are 2, just ask) at the Conn Agriculture Experiment Station at 123 Huntington Street in New Haven will help for self study.
    You must purchase the Cornell Pesticide Core manual & the category 3a supplement. This is available from Uconn Storrs publications dept. Google will get you there.

I know th folks in Hartford. They're OK. If you need help, send me an e-mail.

sls247@lesco.com

Steve

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

that figures connecticut sucks in everything.they tax you to death
    companies are moving out.dmv department sucks in everything to
    state cops are d@#$&.

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike,

I think I failed to read your question completely. We don't need a lisence to apply straight fertilizers in Connecticut. You still need to register your business & all that, but the certificate I referred to is for the commercial application of pesticides.

http://www.canr.uconn.edu/ces/ctpep/pat_abt.html

Please keep in mind that vitually all of the "4-step-programs" that are sold in graden centers for consumer use, also contain pesticides for the control of weeds & insects. And those DO require the lisence when they're applied for hire.

For that certificate, call Linda or Chris to make an appointment soon. The list of people wishing to take the test in the winter gets long too fast to test everyone before spring.

Steve

8. LR3

LR3 LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't want to create a new one so I figured I would wake this one from the dead.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

9. LR3

LR3 LawnSite Senior Member

Just enrolled in an online course, thanks anyway!

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I see you still haven't learned how to spell...it's agriculture! Besides, it is the CT DEP for pesticide license.

For straight fertilizer you don't need a license though, you're right. Actually, my understanding is you only need a pest. license if you're going to charge to do applications. If you want to do them for free it's ok, lol.

So how you been Mike (LGF)? Been a while. I didn't think you were posting here anymore. I took a break from posting here myself for a few years.

I've been doing better since I left and stopped listening to advice here about professionalism and image and all...I grew my hair out, stopped wearing collared shirts, started wearing blown out pants, took the signage off the truck and business has been growing ever since, ROFL.