Where to get a flow meter?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by glenjr10, Sep 10, 2003.

1. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

I am trying to put together a small spray rig to spray only Round-up or other non-selectives, and the way that I am trying to bill my customers is by the gallon. Right now I am using a 3 gallon, with 1-gallon markings, but would like to grow this part of my business.

I am looking for a device that would be able to be reset easily, measure the amount of liquid that has flown through it. The only problem that I have is I am trying to do this on a 3/8" hose, which I have not been able to find a meter for.

Does anybody know of a manufacturer or dealer that would carry these types of equipment. It could be something that looked like a trip odometer in a car.

Thanks in advance
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Lesco carried flow meters, but I'm not sure what size. Also ck Grainger or McMaster-Carr.
  3. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Check Rittenhouse.com I seem to remember one in their catalog
  4. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Years ago I used a GPI (Great Plains Industries) flowmeter in a 3/8" ID hose. Stainless steel housing with viton "innards". Not sure if they still manufacture it but worth a shot.
  5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

If you do a search on the internet you will find a variety of flow meters, the problem is, some of the smaller ones are calibrated for fuel oils, and the specific gravity and density of gas and kero and diesel are differnt from water, I talked with teh tech department who makes them and they said they would not be accurate.

I use a water meter that is for residentail use, it is very accurate, however, it is heavy and bulky. You can replumb any water meter to fit your hose with a little creative engineering.

Mine is a neptune, and I use it for spraying but mainly for loading my tank. You can find a good deal on them if you shop around, new they are between 150-200, mine was 31.00.

Give me a shout if you are intersted, envirogreenturf@hotmail.com

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is one I found. Click on image for link.

7. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Ebay, the worlds online garage sale. I picked up a 1" Great Plains for $65.00.
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Nice idea

But I think you're complicating it more than you need to.

A 3 gallon sprayer. So you spray a couple weeds in the cracks of concrete. Spray a few ounces of the mixed product. You going to charge the customer for that?

If you had to spray say the side of a garage between a fence. Or something similar. You use a gallon, or half a gallon. You can see that in the spray container. So you charge accordingly.

Or if you spray and entire lawn for renovation. You fill the tank twice. That is 6 gallons.

Easy enough to

Now if you have a 300 gallon sprayer, then yes, having a meter is necessary.
  9. I was thinking the same thing GLAN.