1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where to get "good" employees

Discussion in 'Employment' started by scrapn, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ozarklawns

ozarklawns LawnSite Member

Sure, Im not really talking about bad characters as much as I am good experienced help that does not beaver cut my edges. Somebody that needs coaching as opposed to full blown training. I have found some decent nice trustable guys but they lacked the experience or skill set I was looking for. It sacrificed quality and time management for a few weeks till they caught on to the labor side of their job but still had little or no leadership qualities. Maybe my standards are a little too high for the nature of the industry but I see larger companies able to staff crew leaders and have independent and efficient guys in the field. I would even pay more for these qualities but most applicants are short term employees not mgmt trainees or future crew leaders. Thats just my experience. Like I said this has been my weakness in building my business and could use some advice to not only find help but to make me a better boss, employer, manager, and owner.
  2. Tylerr83

Tylerr83 LawnSite Member

forget CL. 90% of those people are unemployed for a good reason. in this industry it is damn hard to find quality long term people, that is just the nature of the business. the best workers usually look to start their own business or find something better. finding that needle in the haystack guy that works hard, long term for even the best landscape wage is few and far between.