Where to get money for starting out?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by NEUSWEDE, Sep 22, 2003.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I know most of you young and old have started your business from nothing and turned it into something. I have read posts but haven't talked much. This spring I am starting my own company once I graduate from college. I have the drive to do and won't be defeated. My ulimate question is where do I get the money for the things I need? I am young and don't have much credit, not much saved because I have been paying for college, I wouldn't ask my parents and I don't know of anyone to invest in my company and I have looked. Would the bank really give me a small business loan? any tips hints or suggestions would help.
  2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Most equipment companies have financing available - you might check some out in advance and see if you qualify.

Otherwise, look at used equipment and upgrade as you grow your business.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is an article that may spark some more ideas for you.

And an inspirational quote:

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right! " Henry Ford
  4. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

check out your local SBA Score Office, ask for help, they will give you free conseling, give out loans themselves, or could probably point you in a direction.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

start out with another part time job first with mowing on the side, then after the mowing comes through switch over to the mowing full time
  6. LilRabbit

LilRabbit LawnSite Member

I get alot of emails saying "You qualify for a $25,000 grant, just pay $19.95 to find out where to get them". Has anyone ever received one of these or paid the 20 bucks to find out more? I'm sure I'm not the only one to get these e-mails.
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Many of us got startup money, and inspiration, by busting our butts at jobs we dreaded going to each day, for years. You could try that.
  8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Damn Crawdad. Reality bites. True, true, true.
  9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

In my experience take it slow. Buy what you can afford and save your money for new equipment when you need it. Remember you need to learn to crawl before you can walk.
  10. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I got my first mower with a tax refund. It was used around $970.00 and 36". Got a new one around 1 to 2 years later and paid cash for it. Also as I made enough money I got blowers weedeaters and edger. Drove my first mower onto the back of my truck. Finally got a trailer to put all the equioment on.

David :)