Where to get pictures?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by pvs landscaping, Apr 3, 2007.

1. pvs landscaping

pvs landscaping LawnSite Member
    from mass

Does any body know a site that has professional looking lawn photos other than lawnsite? Thanks alot!

2. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

Listen, im giving you friendly advice DONT USE OTHER PEOPLE PHOTOS.....I put a post up like this a few months ago and was ripped apart for asking, people calling me a hack, and *******ect ect......Some people were helpfull thoughMy thoughts are we are just helping till you get your own pictures. I just made a new website and didnt have many pictures from last year so i asked for help and it went bad from there.....PM me and Ill help you out.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Way I see it, when I cut most any of my customer's lawn today I can make it look exactly like the picture(s) on my web site, and the reason for that is because I took those picture(s), but not only that, those are pictures of actual lawns I cut. So it's up to you, but you see what I'm saying is, if you don't feel like taking pictures that's cool, but certainly I would keep in mind that you may have to live up to it, or the customer may wise up to it.

It may not seem like a big deal, but to me it is, every place like McDonalds or Papa Johns has pictures of food on their menus, but they're not someone else's food (or pics). I find it unfortunate in their case that they hire freakin chefs to design (cook) the food for the pictures, which makes it truly difficult to reproduce in an actual restaurant, but it could be done because it's their food to begin with. And, no customer would get wise on them that it's not their pictures, thou again the fact that those picture-perfect foods were prepared in a specially elaborate setting could bring a few comments, maybe that.

And it's the same thing with the lawn picture stuff...
    I just kept forcing myself (and trying really hard to remember) for all of a year to take the digicam with me, and take pics, lots of them. After a while it becomes habit, but it's also an investment of time and this may stir up hard feelings as well, those 100 some pictures were not taken in no 30 or 60 minutes, see... The ones I display were the ones that actually turned out, only a few (5 or 6) out of ALL of them I found decent enough to use for a site, so it took time and work.

Now that's just me, I don't really mind if you wish to use one or two of mine, but would prefer you not use my front page one but check out the gallery see what you can find, now I've had my say and you have a nice day.

4. H2O

H2O LawnSite Member
    from MA

pvs landscaping,
    I know that irrigation companies such as Hunter and RainBird provide "stock photography" free for use, when agreeing to their usage terms. Upon request they will even send you a CD with hi res copies for print. Other large manufacturers might have stock photos too. But always first get permission to use thier © images.

The problem with stock photography is that lots of your competitors use the same images. These pixs will not set you apart from the crowd.

Photo Copyright Law & Licensing has often been debated in this forum.
    Beware of © issues: If you find photos on the internet that you want to use, Always Ask Permission! Swiping copyrighted images is illegal and can lead to problems... such as being called a hack, etc.

My personal opinion...
    Your web site should reflect YOUR work, and what YOUR company has to offer.

The small amount of money invested in a professionally designed web site and pro pixs ...will often pay for itself in just 1 job sold.

Keep in mind, a Good web site can lead to Great profits!

Great links to visit:

US Copyright Law
    http://www.copyright.gov

Corbis - Royalty free images
    http://pro.corbis.com/rfshop/default.aspx

Comstock - Royalty free images
    http://www.comstock.com

Creative Commons
    http://creativecommons.org/

As referred to in another thread...
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/clipart/download.aspx

Google Image Search - is subject to copyright law.
    http://www.google.com/help/faq_images.html
    “The images identified by the Google Image Search service may be protected by copyrights. Although you can locate and access the images through our service, we cannot grant you any rights to use them for any purpose other than viewing them on the web. Accordingly, if you would like to use any images you have found through our service, we advise you to contact the site owner to obtain the requisite permissions.”

Good Luck!

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your best advertisement is your own pictures.

6. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

It is completely unprofessional to use someone else's work to sell your own work. If you need pics for a website and dont have any pics of your own yet, buy or borrow a camera.

7. Firehouse Studios

Firehouse Studios LawnSite Member

Perhaps in the lawn care business, however outside of that there's a reason stock photography exists.

:waving:

8. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

I guess there are ways to use stock photos for a lawn care business even. Just not when you are presenting it as your work.

9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Google Image search.

Don't worry about what these guys on this site think, you're selling to the general public. Even Just Mowing uses generic pics from the net and that co. is a hundred times bigger than most of these.

It's hard to take a nice pic but I certainly intend to learn because I think I would like to have a photo gallery of my own work but only if I can make the pics look professional. Your not doing yourself any favors having crap photos on you web site or flyer. I've been putting other people's pics on my flyers for years and have never had a single customer challenge its authenticity. I never claim its my work though, just putting pics on flyers not on the web in a photo gallery.

edit: matt spinniben, if you took those photos on your site.. they are awesome. That one with the shadows coming from the trees on a dark green lawn... WOW!

(don't worry I won't steal it, lol)

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One thing's for sure...

Digital cameras appear to have a knack for increasing the quality of solid objects (such as cars, perhaps equipment, etc) while decreasing the quality of nature shots (like lawns)... More than once has this happened, I've even tried various exposure settings (auto, cloudy, sunny, etc) and what not, none of it seems to make much difference.

My truck looked a lot better in the pics than in real life, meanwhile the lawn shots really don't do my work any justice, so I learned...

Take the pic through a graphics editor, and play with the contrast and lighting, also perhaps the red-green-blue balance, maybe 1-2 other settings, it makes a world of difference. Don't get too carried away, but I'll be if the lawn looked awesome in reality and the digicam wants to make it look like crap.

I still prefer the more natural shots, really the less editing the better just for that same reason why your own pics work best... So I also found that different lawns or the same lawn at different times of day turns out better or worse, so experimentation is a trick as well.