1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where to get rid of grass clippings ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skmodmsl, Apr 12, 2004.

1. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

I was wonderering where you guys dispose of grass clippings. My local landfill doesnot accept them. I plan to mulch the lawns I mow. However windrows of grass are sometimes inevitable. I hate the "hayfield" look of them. I've resorted to blowing them around to scatter them. Do your towns accept grass clippings or is it just the town I live in ?
  2. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

We have farms that will take our clippings or leaves, But we just double cut when needed. Raise your deck 1/2 to 3/4 inch and re-cut areas needed using same strips...Chuck
  3. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Designate a spot on your own propertyas a compost bin. Just an idea.
  4. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Put an ad in the paper under farm equipment so something along those lines. I just did and got 2 places to dump an unlimited amount of grass.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put MEG MO blades on and no worries about clipping.
  6. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Check in your town if there are any recycling yards. Around here they take any kind of yard debris. $22 a ton. They turn it into mulch and compost.
  7. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Check the yellow pages, there are some compost sites but they do cost a fee. If you need to add that into your price - which you should do anyway's. The other solution would be to do what was said above: get mulching blades and double cut if it's that high.

8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Although I am only 16, I have 15 accounts in my area and its only spring! I have an advantage in my town. They take Vegetation every other week for free as part of the garbage clean up. So, I use 5 of those green garbage cans and put them out every other week. Whenever I have an overload of grass I store it behind my garage and take it out the week after. So things are good here with grass!
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Put the clippings back into the lawn. I run mulch kits and never worry about it.
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

petr, i just got a letter from the d.e.p. concerning doing what your doing. if the clippings you're collecting, are going to a recycling center, then ground into mulch to be used in flower beds and vegetable gardens, and they contain a herbicide, guess who's in trouble??