Where to get Trailer Chains?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Just picked up a used trailer and I need to get the safety chains. 1 chain is missing and the other is rusted out real bad, I wouldn't trust it.

Anyone know of a source for them on the internet?

Does Pep Boys or place like that carry them?

It's a 16 or 18 foot trailer, so I want to get the larger, (heavier capacity) chains. Thanks!!!

2. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

walmart, kmart, uhaul, pep boys....

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have seen them at NAPA parts stores:)

4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

go to home depot they have different grades and will cut it to the length you want.

5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I would imagine that Tractor Supply also carries them.

6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We buy bulk chain pails from Grainger. Just remember that there are different grades and that a chain rated as System 7 is required by DOT(Department of Transportation).
    Every so many links should be an indentifier mark such as "G7", mark depends on manufacture. Size depends on the GVR weight rating of trailer and/or equipment being anchored to trailer.
    Trailer GVR of 7000lbs means one chain rated to 7000lbs tensile strength or two small chains with a combined rating of 7000lbs or more. Also chains can no longer be welded straight to the trailer tongue, they must have some other method. We bend round metal stock, feed the chain on, and weld the metal stock to the tongue.
    Welding a chain link will weaken the link, and DOT will not consider that link as a rated link.