Where to get uniforms?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I want to get some uniforms for myself and one possible employee next year and am wondering if there may be some companies that you guys recommend. I'm also wondering where a good place may be to get a proffesional logo designed. If I get into fertilizing, I will need to get those little flags for the lawns also. I remember someone posting a place to buy those in bulk, but can't recall the site. If you guys have some recommendations, please share and thanks for any help you can provide.

-Nick Howard

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

cintas is good as is rental uniform service.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would look into just getting Dickies work pants or Carhart work jeans. Both are nice and comfortable and extremely durable. JMO

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would buy a few pair of dickies and get a few golf shirts logoed....thats what i think atleast

5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am going with a local Uniform shop in my area to have Polo Shirts Embrodiered with my Logo and a few hats. We are just going to wear jeans and work boots. When I get to the point of employees, I think I will supply the shirts and hats and they suplly their own pants and footwear.

BTW, I found that my local shop was cheaper and more convient than anything I found online, so it might be something to consider. Usually they can help you with a Logo as well.

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I am having a local shop do mine. I think they are pretty expensive but it is convenient for me... $60 setup fee for 2 screens and $10 per shirt after that. Are these prices cheap or expensive (never have to pay setup fee again, just go in and pay $10 per shirt)

7. Total.Lawn.Care

I can tell you that my shirts are going to be $45 setup, and probably run about $17 per shirt. The good thing about mine is that on ce the setup is done, that sets the price of the embroidery, then the total price of the shirt is up to me due to what type of shirt I pick out. We are going with a 5.5 ounce Polo shirt in Dark Green with Yellow Embroidery. That is for the work shirts. I can choose nicer shirts for myself and my wife to wear as normal everyday wear for advertising purposes, and still the emboidery is the same, only the price of the shirt changes due to quality and material.

8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like it will be very hot, remember if the unis are too hot the workers will take them off and that's worse than non-uniform shirts.

9. Total.Lawn.Care

The 5.5 ounce shirts are fairly light, I might go lighter in weight if we can. I figured the darker color will also help hide the dirt and grease stains from the job. I might change to John Deere Green color shirts. I am also going to encourage the use of Under Armor shirts in the hot months. I used them in Iraq last year and early this summer, and they are GREAT!!! Really do help facilitate sweat evaporation to keep you cool.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think what they were trying to say is dark colors absorb the sun's HEAT lol dark green will literally at least double the shirt's internal temperature and I don't care if it's made of ice fleece. I watch these guys around here working in maroon shirts and I'm like, there's another employer without a clue, I don't know how any workers deal with that but it makes me glad nobody is in charge of what I wear.

Polo shirts, designer clothes by Ralph Lauren, gee don't forget about Pierre Cardin.
    The cheapest uniform is white undershirts, walmart store brand. Around $2-$3 each, and yes you wash them after daily wear.
    Once you buy 50-100 of these you call around until you find someone who can drop a logo on there and you ask to see samples or let them do a small batch (2 or 3) and then you go with what you got.