Where to get used commercial mowers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rct, Dec 4, 2006.

1. rct

rct LawnSite Member

I have looked at the residential mowers and am not impressed with many of them. The best thing I have seen is the Cub Cadet 2000 series mowers. Forget the ztrs in that price range. They run in the mid $3000s. I am wondering if I wouldn't be better of with a used commercial machine. If so where do I find them, what should I look out for. I have 3/4 of an acre and I live in Raleigh, NC.:(

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Some places you might check include your local newspaper in the classifieds, checking with dealers to see if they or other lco's have any units for sale, check a local paper like a Bargain Mart, etc. Another good place to check is Ebay. This is a good time of year to purchase used equipment as some peoplle are getting out of business at then end of the season. If you spend some time shoppping you may find a nearly new unit for about 1/2 price of new.

3. rct

rct LawnSite Member

Thanks. I looked on Ebay and craigslist. I didn't really see anything except a scag with a bad wheel motor on Ebay. I am suppossed to get a good bonus sometime this month or next when the project at work gets done. I don't have any idea how much, but I hope it is enough to get something good. I do all my own mechanic work, so I am not afraid to get a fixer upper, but I don't want a basket case either.

4. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

What kid of mower are you looking for?

5. rct

rct LawnSite Member

I think a ztr. I have very little time with my work schedule, and I don't plan on towing anything except a spreader and maybe a small cart, thus the 2000 series cub seems to be overkill.

6. sjessen

Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I'm guessing you are trying to stay in the $3000 price range. I would take my time and check the various dealers for used equipment. Two of the dealers I use have areas set aside for individuals to sell their equipment. I think you should be able to find a decent unit for what you are wanting to pay.

7. rct

rct LawnSite Member

The price range is going to be determined by my bonus. It should be at least $3000 though. I was at a Toro dealer last weekend and saw a Z400 Zmaster with a 48" deck and a Kohler 18hp for $5000. It would be great if I could go that route, but my luck will probably not be that good. I have gotten the same line from every dealer I have visited and I quote "you don't want anything I have got in on trade". So why take it in in the first place?

8. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

for 3000 you could get a quick 36 samurai hydro with a sulky brand new delivered to your door and Ive heard nothing but good things about them about them. do a search on here for them, odds are youll like what you read

9. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I would think if you wind up in the 4k range, this time of year you could get a Hustler Mini FasTrack. I got one last March for 3800.00. 16/42

I cut my 0.5 acre, my neighbors 0.75 and another neighbors 0.5'ish lawn. I think I have 50 to 60 hrs on it and it runs like the day I bought it.

10. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

might want to look into the quick 36 for 2000