Where to get water from?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by pryker, May 13, 2004.

1. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Thought I would ask you irrigation experts this:

I have a well and septic tank. Because of this I would not want to have to use my well water to "water" the lawn since I have 3 acres of lawn and I would need to have it run all night. Would it make sense for me to dig another well for irrigation purposes? Would it effect my water depth in my original well since I am drawing water from the same water table? What are the pros and cons? Initially I would not install a full sprinkler system, just use if for watering with the hose. Later I would upgrade to sprinkler system for all acerage. I know, it is a bit extreme, but I really want an irrigation system I can use.

Thanks

Phil

2. Crapgame

Crapgame LawnSite Member

I was wondering the same thing. I am in a similar situation with 2 1/2 acres, and was thinking about digging some kind of small pond-ish thing which could collect all the curtain drain and foundation drain water that is constantly flowing, and then use that as my source for a sprinkler system.

Is something like that feasible? I don't want to destroy the capabilities of my existing well.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Generally in Maryland you cant have 2 wells, but if you check with the state you can get a permit for a well for irrigation, I have had 4 customers do this . I made them do the paperwork. First find out the capacity of your well , if its drilled there is a number on the tag and the county should have records. If you have over 20 gpm you are fine , check with local well companies as far as cost and approximate expected yield. As far as watering 3 acres by hose , dont bother , As far as a system for 3 full acres , correctly installed wont be cheap. The more well capacity the better. I believe you have a clay based rocky soil ,And if that is harford county ( I am in anne arundel) you may want to check with locals about water restrictions. If you have great water supply I would jump up to commercial components that throw water 40 to 60 feet. You could cut the number of heads in half. All depends on what you have as far as supply.

4. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Here in Montana, I simply tossed a pony and a half pump in the creek yonder.

5. pryker

pryker LawnSite Member

Yep...

If I had a creek then I would be in business. When I lived in florida I had a canal in my back yard that drove my sprinkler system. Here in Maryland I have no water near me.

Mdirrigation: Thanks for the info. I will do some research on that. So, would you consider giving me a quote on a system?

Thanks

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

I could , but I am shut down for business for 2 weeks due to the loss of our newborn daughter , when things settle down I could . Thanks

7. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Drilling a new well would be expensive. If you do it, I would recommend installing a Vairable frequency drive well pump. Not much mor money but a whole lot better for an Irrigation system. Also, keep in mind about the volume of water that you would need:
    The average lawn needs 1 to 1.5 Inches of water a week. For easy figuring, let's call it 1 inch.
    The better designs will apply water at about 70% efficency. This means, that you will really have to pump on 1.33 inches a week, to get 1 Inch of even coverage.

There are 27,154 gallons in 1 acre inch of water, * 1.33= @36,000 gallons per week * 3 acres =108,000 Gallons of water a week or 15,428 gallons a day. If you wanted to keep your water window down to 6 hours a day, which is still pushing things a little, you would need a pump that supplies at least 42 gallons per minute. No way on a standard household well.
    If you pumped 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you would still need 11 gallons per minute.
    Hope this gives you something to get started with.