Where to go for general liability insurance?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TwoGuyswithMowers, Aug 5, 2013.

1. TwoGuyswithMowers

TwoGuyswithMowers LawnSite Member

I've got my first commercial account locked up, so I need to get general liability insurance lined up before I begin work this weekend. Where do I go to find the best prices? I'm going to start with the company that I have my auto insurance through, but would also like some other quotes. This particular account doesn't even have a minimum requirement, as long as your are insured, but I am looking for $1M in coverage so I can go after other commercial accounts.

And out of curiousity... what's a ballpark estimate of what I'd pay for $1M in coverage? There are only the two partners in the business and no hired help. And I don't believe we have enough money tied up in equipment to need to insure it.

2. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

I use a company called Alfa. I price it every year but always been happy with them. Unfortunately had to make a couple of claims over the 8 years I've had them. Always treated me right. Never gouged afterwards. As for cost I'm not sure on just a million. I have. Everything in my business bundled.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

We've used auto-owners for the last 5 years and couldn't be happier.

Had a mishap on our dump truck that crushed the rear corner and messed up the drop-side and rear pillar for the drop-side/tailgate.

No hassles, no adjuster, two estimates and sent a check in the mail. Truck was fixed and on the road in no time.

Though, it was an auto claim through them, I could only imagine that a liability claim (which we have with auto-owners) would be a smooth and simple.

4. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a policy with Nationwide and no claims yet, but the rate was very reasonable.

5. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I have Country Companies and with the truck, trailer, and all tools with business liability insurance I run around $180 a month. Full coverage for everything.

6. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED LawnSite Member

Westfield here.

7. TwoGuyswithMowers

TwoGuyswithMowers LawnSite Member

I tried the company I get auto insurance through and got a quote for $1221/yr for $1M. Then I tried another local company near my house and got a quote for $754/yr. I think I'm going with choice number 2. It also has me thinking I need to get more quotes on auto insurance.