1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where to go to get information?????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cod8825, Jun 23, 2007.

1. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

A while back I posted a thread on how to do everything related to fertilization and weed control. I realize now that was probably not a good start to acquiring knowledge since nobody responded. Let me try a different approach on every topic on lawnsite.com there is a tutorial on that specific topic.

I have found the information on organic lawn care, irrigation etc... to be very helpful. Can someone direct me to the a website or book that is specific to learning about fertilization, weed control, insect control and so on. I know that the experts and pros recommend studying but were to get opinions on how products work then directly from lesco, chemlawn and Scotts. I expect everybody to have an opinion about the equipment and products that they work with I just want some help

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

One good way to start out would be to work for an application company in your area. You could let them train you. That would at least get you started. You could learn about applications on their dime and on their lawns. I'm not sure about the regulations in your state, but some states require you to have a certain amount of experience working under someone else's card, before you can obtain you own card. There are a lot of guys who have their own application businesses, that started out that way.
  3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

go to the book store, find the home and garden section, i guarantee there are some books that will help you with the basics
  4. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

use your local AG Coop, they are excellent for information and it's free. Not to mention the fact that they are are dealing with all the different chemicals that we talk about, seeing which one is most effective. They can show the varrious plots where these experiments are taking place, so you can see first hand. Our local Coop has a summer field day at their turf farm and there you can find a ton of information.

Just a thought, Boats
  5. cod8825

The local coop we have one and buy chemicals in our business mostly round up though but that would definitely be a great start and I will go to a nursery and see and the library as well.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have posted these before, but here it goes again

"Turfgrass Management" By A J Turgeon

"Management of Turfgrass Diseases" J M Vargas

"Destructive Turfgrass Insect (Biology, Diagnosis & Control)" by Daniel A Potter

"Turf & Ornamental Reference" by C & P Press

"Western Fertilizer Handbook" produced by Soil improvement committee of the California Fertilizer Association.

The above are Entry Level college text books that are used by many universities. Don't buy them unless you are serious about wanting to learn. They can be heavy reading.

Also look into both Purdue University and Georgia Tech on line certification courses in Turfgrass management.

Check with your Country Extension agent for Seminars and Free hand outs. I am on the E mail list of 6 counties around me. They have many of the same Seminars because those seminars are provided by the State Land Grant University. However I do find Seminars unique to one county.
  7. cod8825

Thanks for the info I understand the frustration of posting the same information multiply times but thanks anyway