Where to learn more???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTLAWN, Jan 29, 2006.

1. JTLAWN

JTLAWN LawnSite Member
    Male, from leesburg, Va

Is there any good courses i can take to learn more about landscaping and horticulture!!! Or maybe some good books! Ive been in business for 2 years and im trying to learn a little more about plants and different techniques!

thanks

:confused:

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Try the local colleges to see if they have professional education programs. Many do and they offer short courses during the winter months. You can also look into the vocational & technical schools or community colleges. Many manufacturers or dealers have seminars that will enlighten you to their products and hopefully some good landscape practices. Most associations have at least annual meetings with seminars and demonstrations to benefit their member and some of the more progressive groups offer training and certification in landscape and nursery technicians.

Good books will offer you information that you will have to decipher, but are excellent for reference material. Any of the books written by Michael Dirr and very important to add to your library. The Manual of Wood Landscape plants is known as the horticulturists bible and his picture books that go along with it are invaluable. I keep a library with over 50 books and don't think I am 1/4 of the way there. Horticopia is a software encyclopedia of plants and is an excellent source of information and detail. The software is around $600 and most of the quality books are not cheap either. Check out your local library to see what books may give you the information you desire, or you can start a thread on suggested reading.

Kirk

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

County Extension offices usually offer seminars. Sometimes Master Gardener programs offer a professional option where you take the classes but don't have to do the volunteer work to get certification. Join your state or local landscape or turf association. They should have field days, trade shows, and educational sessions throughout the year.
    Maybe you could partner up with an experienced landscaper in your area. Offer yourself as cheap labor for one day a week when they need extra help.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

There are some excellent books you can get and start reading....

The first one I always recommend to anyone is Landscape Construction by David Sauter....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0827384270/104-0001619-0890327?v=glance&n=283155

It's the Bible of Landscaping. And when you get it and start reading it, you'll see why. It's the first book you should study and buy.

As for horticulture, planting techniques, etc. I highly recommend the Western Garden Book...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...104-0001619-0890327?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

And just because it says "Western" don't think that means it's just for people out west. It's a deceiving title. But it applies to all areas of the United States. GREAT book.

Those two books will cover what 3 dozen more specific books would cover. So just mastering those two books will keep you busy for quite a long time. If all you did was read and study those two books you'd know 80% of what you need to know for this industry.

There are other great books I could recommend, but they are all more specific to certain parts of our industry. I could recomment some great books on backflow prevention, irrigation, pruning, lighting, water gardening, etc. But I'd start with the two above. Those are honestly all you'll need to study for quite a while.

5. JTLAWN

JTLAWN LawnSite Member
    Male, from leesburg, Va

Hey guys thanks for the replies, Im going to go to the bookstore and i signed up for some evening classes at a vocational school in my area, thanks for the helppayup