where to look for employees?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zohhhsix, Jul 16, 2006.

1. zohhhsix

zohhhsix LawnSite Member

What is the best place to look for employees? I am looking to hire couple guys to do landscaping and regular maintenance stuff. Is there a magazine you all look in or give add in post...any help would be appreciated.

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for entry level intelligent types as opposed to just labor you might consider checking with turf program students at nearest college or even high school grads who always need cash.

Long term employment may phase some of these types as they soon realize they too could do it all and make more. I have hired a lot by work of mouth unless the need was great - like I need 35 employees to start on a gov't contract next week type of need. Then I would run an ad in the daily newspaper locally for applicants. The last time I did this I had 200+ apps that had to be screened before interviewing 50 that made sense and then hired only 15 out of the mix. Got the needed numbers over the next two weeks.

Know what type of guy/girl you need before you run your ad.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would run a ad in a newspaper or an unemployment office.

4. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

around here you find the hard working mexicans by the nurseries chilling at corners.... or at the corner bodega stores a few towns over

You can find ones willing to work for you the rest of your life or the ones that will work there ass off for no money whatever u need

5. zohhhsix

zohhhsix LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys!!! I guess I'll run an add in a local news paper and see what I get...