1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

where to look for up coming bids?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by murrayII, Feb 14, 2007.

1. murrayII

murrayII LawnSite Member

Hey everyone.. this might be a silly question, but I was wondering where do you guys look to find bids.. I mean from schools, or county bids etc? I look in the papers, but it seems to be hit or miss there... is there any kind of registry, or something at the county court house?

where do you look?

2. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

our court house has a bulliton boarrd with them posted.
  3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

your county probably has a website, go to the purchasing dept or procurement services and there should be a list of any open bids for that county...

you can check the county site, the city site, the sheriffs site etc...

I just checked your city and county site and they did not have it online, maybe where you live is small and there are not alot to bid on.

here is a link for my county

go down under the bids for "services", you will see a landscape bid, read through it and see all the b.s. that is required, and you will think twice of even bidding on the s#$t that local govt puts out there....
  4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

The courthouse is your best chance of finding out about bids on schools,townships etc
  5. murrayII

murrayII LawnSite Member

I was thinking along those lines guys.. thanks for the info. Now if I can just find time to get down to the darn courthouse.

appreciate the answers

6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the local paper for our municpal accounts.

You got to be able to be the cheapest but yet still make a profit. We don't make to much off them but they do open more doors for commerical accounts. It seriously sucks maintaining schools. Can't operate equipment with in 100 yards of the kids, fertilizing and spraying must have 72 hours to set in so you can't do anything unless its a long weekend usually the weekends you want off as well like memorial day weekend. Trash is everywhere, Kiss your nice looking decks goodbye as you'll find baseball bats, balls, and toys. String trimmers and soccer goal nets aren't fun either.