1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where to look for used dump 05+ F-550s?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

i checked ebay a lot, trucktraderonline.com i think and autotrader... not many out there, anyone know any ideas?

I dont consider myself picky, but i dont want an XL $50k+ truck. I want at least power windows/locks, with keyless remote and heated/blinker mirrors like every other truck out there. ive seen on the streets before though nice

Crew cab 05+ F550s with XLT and chrome packages, they have the nicer blinker, heated/power mirrors, 5" cab tubular step rails, non plastic front grill and bumper and some power features inside... why is it that every ford dealer only stocks XL trucks? blah:confused:
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You want that your going to need to order brandnew. The only cab and chassis trucks that are available used is EX owner operator trucks mainly tow trucks. Most other trucks you are going to find is XLs. For what you want your going to need to buy a 08. You will never find a dump truck put together with the spec's you want. If you found a cab and chassis and spend the 8-10 grand for the dump body put it on the truck.

You may find a F-550 crewcab set up as a trailer toter which will have a 60 inch CA so you will only beable to mount a 9 foot dump.

Good luck on your search a truck like what your looking for would cost a person like me in Canada 60,000 used and 75,000 new.

Just a regular cab XL is 50,000 you add a mason dump another 9-10 grand installed.

It isn't even worth buying a F-450 or F-550 Ford for a single axle dump its cheaper to buy a new medium duty now.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you may be able to find a dually truck that you can pull the bed off, but as GR mentioned a 9 foot bed is not big enough for anything. Finding an F550 with the XLT package is basically impossible, they just don't exist. Buy a used International 4900 for $20K, money better spent IMO.
  4. Gravel Rat

With these newer trucks getting heavier the "Legal Payload" isn't there anymore. A F-550 crewcab with a 9 foot mason dump will maybe give you a legal payload of 6000lbs. Then these newer trucks don't seem to last and with them getting poor fuel mileage a max gvw.

I can see a F-550 crewcab worth it if your a landscaper with a crew of guys and you tow a bobcat etc and do maintenance and install work.
  5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

6. Gravel Rat

That black F-550 is missing two doors :laugh:
  7. RedMax Man

What are you talking about:confused:
  8. Gravel Rat

He is looking for a Crew Cab :D
  9. RedMax Man

Here's one>>>
    I don't think this one dumps though.
    there are several other crew cabs on that site.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you might want to reconsider ....

nothing wrong with it, but you ARE picky.....

why would you want all that bling on a DUMP TRUCK?????

dude, it's a work truck????

you should be less concerned about the looks, and more concerned about the functionality... this would greatly help your business...