Where To Mount Brake Controller???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SpruceLandscape, Sep 8, 2007.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hey guys... Just bought a new Tekonsha Prodigy controller for my 06 Dodge and I'm looking for suggestions as to where and how to mount it. Its got the pocket mount so that it can be removed easily and I would like to find a way to use it if I can. I'm hoping someone with a late model dodge can post some pics or give suggestions of how their setup is... wiring harness is done and was extremely easy, just need help mounting the brackets. There is a panel in front of the center console that looks like it snaps out and I wouldn't mind cutting a hole in there to recess the unit so that I'm not taking up cupholder space (need that for plow joystick and frosty cold beverages :drinkup: ) but I'm not sure whats behind it or if it even comes out without ripping apart the whole dash. I'll post pics of this panel as soon as possible and you guys can let me know what you think. thanks
  2. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

A friend of mine with an 06, took a panel out to mount his three gauges in the center console. He also has the prodigy controller as do I. He liked the location of mine and that's where his went too. I have mine mounted just in front of my right knee, in my 2nd gen dodge 2500. The ability to recess the controller is limited by the location of the adjustment wheel. So I placed the pocket mount, under the dash. Just left of the 4 wheel drive selector. It's easy to access and remove when necessary. Good Luck.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the new P3 from tekonsha, mounted mine pocket mount by my right knee. Its nice that the prodigy or p3 dont have to be mounted horizontally, works good for me.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, keep one thing in mind. i don't know if many people think about everything when they are installing these things, but one thing my grandfather always told me was to make sure you can get to the tension bar asap in that crazy chance your trailer decides to get a little loose behind you. You want it close by so that you can tap it a few times to make the trailer pull tight and straighten up. He said it saved his a** once out west pulling a travel trailer.
  5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually under the dash in arms reach is the proper place. It is best to mount it as close to level as possible.