1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where to park???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Well, with my new trailer, I've run into parking problems. I've got a few residential accounts that have "no parking" signs on "both" sides of the street. Before, I could pull my truck and trailer in the driveway, but that's not possible with the larger trailer. How do you guy's handle problems like this???
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have lightbars on our trucks and keep them flashing along with orange cones on roadway behind trailer.
  3. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I park in no parking and put on my emergency lights. been doing it for 2 years never got a ticket.
  4. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1) Cones
    2) Flashers

Difference between "standing" and "parking", i think standing is when a person is in the vehicle, its running etc, but you could probably reason with a cop.
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The landscape truck.

I will never go back to trailering!!!

6. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

park facing the wrong way, double park, park in an alley, or do all three at the same time, just look both ways before you cross.
  7. "service" vehicles have a right to accesss to a property.
    Like telephone, power, cable TV etc.
    LCO's are in that group.

Check local regulations for "service vehicles".

You don't have a right to create a traffic hazard or ignore a cop's instructions, but you do have a right to be there.

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Minimum use your hazards. Light bar or the like will improve your chances w/ the local authorities. Park as close to the curb as possible. If it's a side road you shouldn't have problems. A main drag, defiantly use lights & cones.
    Working for others, once a local cop told us we couldn't stop for a 15 min job on a small side road. Driveway was only 1 car length long so no possibility of parking there. Closest legal parking was 2 blocks away. He gave is a hard time & threatened with tickets, so we had one guy drive around the block until we were done load up in a hurry & take off. That was the only time we were bothered.
    There has been many a time w/ others we parked on a main drag in areas withs cop's known to hassle most everyone, used hazards & cones with no problems for years.
    Most officers will understand your reason for parking in a no parking zone & wont give you a problem as long as you take the precautions to minimize the impact on traffic.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We've always just used orange cones and 4 way lights on...never had a problem. Cops are pretty lenient about it. Shoot, we're just trying to make a living, right?
  10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Guy's,
    Thanks for the info......My friend told me that since I have commercial plates and my business name on my truck, that I have the right to park to "perform" my job. It's sounds like the rest of you are agreeing with this. I'll talk to the cops in town and check exactly what the laws are.