Where to place flyers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kc2006, Jun 12, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok I just got some nice flyers made up and I was thinking about where to put them? Door hangers are good because they go on the handle and normally stay, well where are you guys putting the flyers? I've always used hangers but desided on flyers for a bigger advertisement. Should i stick them in the door so they hang out some? I just don't want them all flying away. I did staple a business card to each so it gives it alittle more weight so that will help and the flyers are like a card stock, thicker then regular paper. Thanks for the help :)
  2. ahfd311

ahfd311 LawnSite Member

go to the grocery store on saturday and put them on windshields. Beats walking door to door
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not really a good idea. First off, a lot of people don't like someone monkeying around with their car or going near it. They will not appreciate a flyer under their wipers.
    Secondly, who do you even know who you are targeting? What kind of lawns? What area do these people even live?
    Parking lots are way too broad. Instead specifically handpick the nice areas that you wish to work in, and target those homes. You'll have more success this way.

Now to answer your question, laying out flyers takes time, and to get a good success rate, you will need to lay out a lot of flyers. When we used to door to door, we used post it notes that we had printed up, and we stuck one to each front door. (much easier than flyers in my opinion) It worked decent, but like I said, you have to really lay out a lot to get the calls rolling in. We no longer need to door to door, we work off of mostly referrals.
  4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

fllyers on windshields = littering= fine

pick an area you want to target and go door to door with the flyers
  5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly right.
  6. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

and don't get discouraged if you don't get a call the first day. i am still getting calls from door hangers that i handed out over a month ago. what does this tell me? based off of my own personal actions i will only hang onto something like this if it has peaked my interest. i suspect it is the same for these people. it is just a matter of time before i make that call.

intial response wasnt that great - most likely due to timing but the residual seems to make up for it. i am looking forward to a much better response next year since i will do it in early spring.
  7. irishrpm

irishrpm LawnSite Member

I have found the typical response rate for door to door flyers about 10%...
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

wow, that's great. So if I put out a 1000 flyers we would get 100 calls? Amazing.
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok but still where is the best place to put them at the houses? In the seam where the door meets the house?

I thought about the supermarket but like said above you don't know who your giving them to, I only target high scale homes due to the larger yards.
  10. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldnt count on that. i think it is more like 1%.