Where to put it

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Sep 11, 2005.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I still see some mentally deranged lco's bagging grass and hauling it away. Other than the stench, weight, flies, and decaying truck bed, Where are these guys getting rid of this stuff ? I'm in central NJ. the county closed the landfill to us years ago, so where to put it ? Just say no to catchers
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nice square 40x40ft. or so area on a 1 acre lot, right in with the leaves, then you rent a skid steer loader once/year to work it through so later it decomposes into topsoil which you then sell for $15/cu.yard + labor. Takes years to get a good pile going, you need to charge to haul it because the skid steer costs $200/day plus your time and fuel (both to run it and to pick it up and bring it back) you're looking at a 400-dollar day just in cost, once/year.
    But soon, my son, I will not have to bag no more... It is only a matter of having enough non-bagging customers, I got 2 left out of 54 that I bag, still you always got the leaves to deal with.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

So where do you take things you trim? What about branches you take away?
  4. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

One of the guys that works for me has goats and he always unloads the clippings in the goat pens. They love it. Wow I guess I really am from Oklahoma. hahaha :rolleyes:
  5. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

Empty lot in front of my house! :D

We do a lot of clean ups for out-of-towners. While they do pay for garbage collection, that doesn't mean it gets picked up. We'll usually check a week or so later to make they picked it up. If they didn't we'll usually haul it off to the dump. Last clean up was 16 45 gallon bags of grass. Left in customer's driveway for pick up. They didn't pick it up. She's in NY so we'll probably call Waste Management.
  6. juggernaut

juggernaut LawnSite Member

I'm jumping on you here, but I live in central jersey and do you know what a 1 acre lot cost here? Almost 100k and thats in the south area which would take him no less then 40 mins to get to, not to mention the people who would complain about the smell. When I was cutting we told the people that the grass would be left on their lawn as long as it was not some crazy amount. If they requested we do not cut every week and the grass got to be to much we would push it to the curb, never bagged it, never hauled it off unless they asked and we charged them for it. Because 90% of the time it was their fault for not wanting the grass cut in the 1st place.
    Dude I dont know right where you are, but this is burlingtons site for removal of grass.
  7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Hope his lawns were not treated.
  8. Sharp Services

Sharp Services LawnSite Senior Member

Thank God for the goats ... I raise Fainting Goats on my farm and they love all the woody stems that I bring home. Luckly, the city still picks up the grass clipping from the curb, but I take all the other home to the goats and sheep ... saves me money on hay and feed.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

100k for the lot with the house, it isn't a million-dollar subdivision and you do need to add a fair amount of LIME (uhm, 200 - 400 pounds) per year to help absorb those active chemicals and speed along decomposition. A good compost pile needs a fair amount of attention, yet another reason you have to charge to HAUL it away in ADDITION to the charge for bagging.