Where to put the wire?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jbailey52, Jan 7, 2007.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

What does everyone like to do with the wires in beds? Mulch over top? Burry then mulch?
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

burry them w/ mulch if they are already there. If I'm repairing someone's screw-up, I'll bury them so nobody hits them when trimming bushes.
  3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

if you are installing them you may want to use a foot or so of pvc to protect them when you transition from the lawn into a bed so they are not damaged by someone edging the bed.
  4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

NEC requires burial to a depth of 6", then you can mulch over them.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

ditto what paul said... then conduit any place there is a chance for damage like bed to lawn transitions and sometimes i put conduit in areas where annual color is frequently placed.

We also try to keep it near a structure and run the wires together as much as possible. You dont just want a spider web all over the place.
  6. jbailey52

Thats what we did on the last one.... since we did all of the landscaping, the mulch was not done yet... so when it went from beds to lawn, I used some PVC, and zip tied as much of the wires together in the beds, and kept them towards the middle of the beds so there is less of a chance of hitting them over the season... just mulched over them tho, didnt burry them..
  7. Pro-Scapes

when someones walking thru the beds and trips on em someones gonna be held liable.
  8. jbailey52

They are pinned down.. no tripping... no liablitiy
  9. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

A couple considerations...

Either get them deep enough that they won't get damaged when planting anything in the bed, or pin them on top of the dirt, under the mulch. MOST people will scrape away mulch before planting anything, so they would expose (and therefore hopefully avoid) damaging the wire. If you do this, use LOTS of landscape staples/pins, and be aware that over time, as the mulch "turns to dirt", the wires will be buried shallow, creating the whole planting damage scenario.

Going deep is definitely a better solution. It takes longer, but you end up with a more professional job that you can charge more for.
  10. Pro-Scapes

not only does it take longer but your not in violation of codes or opening yourself to liabilities. Lets face it. Many of our clients are not the brightest when it comes to electrcity and if they see exposed power wires in the beds and thier kids play near there you might be getting an irate phone call.

Proper routing in beds is important. I completly tore up some other guys system 2 years ago with a bedscaper machine because he followed the bed edges and it was really shallow.

We try to bury against the home or in the area least likley to be cut up. Sometimes this takes more. We also furnish every client with a diagram of thier lighting system pointing out the location of the wire and it clearly states we are not resposible for cut lines.