where to start? Classes, Education, books???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbo90423, May 3, 2011.

1. jbo90423

jbo90423 LawnSite Member

I am looking to start into hardscapes.... looking on where to begin? What classes, education, certifications are available to get started? I am extremely green and am just looking for some direction to get educated. Any input will be greatly appreciated.... Thanks in advance...

2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to learn is to work for other reputable hardscapers in your area. I would recommend working for at least two different companies for no less than two years.

3. jbo90423

jbo90423 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

4. jbo90423

jbo90423 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I should have stated that before.... I own/operate a lawn and landscape business (mainly lawn work), so that option is probably not available.... Trust me I know the value of experience! Thanks though... Anyone else... Again thanks in advance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TomG

TomG LawnSite Senior Member

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

you cut yards now?

And you want to do construction work?

Where is the corrilation? Heck, cutting hair is a closer corrilation to mowing yards than hardscapes is :)

Why didn't you be a brick/block/stone mason instead of a yard cutting guy?

7. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Great analogy! To the OP if you can not go out and get hands on experience than I feel bad for your customers, you will most likely do some shoddy installs until you learn and it could take years for you to learn all the little time saving tricks that could be picked up in minutes working for somebody else. I started doing hardscapes first and then I added maintenance later because of the companies I was referring the maintenance work to started taking hardscape work from me.

8. jbo90423

jbo90423 LawnSite Member

DVS, I have dealt with your kind for years, no surprise there. I am a retired KSP Trooper and have "cut yards" for the past 10 years. I do it because I enjoy it. I could care less about a "corrilation", or did you mean correlation? Seems like you should pay more attention to detail? And I think now I will do construction work and cut hair.... since you have nothing but negativity to contribute why don't you find another thread? I use to love meeting people like you....

9. jbo90423

jbo90423 LawnSite Member

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

JBO - you obviously never worked up through the ranks of KSP. as you're not a good judge of character and you're apparently thinned skinned. Neither a good attribute for law enforcement.

My post is to instill thought. You don't wake up one day and decide to do something because it looks cool to do. Just like people do not wake up one day and decide they want to be a police officer. It a passion that is years and years in the making. Do a search on my user name and you will see if have maintained this stance for many many years.

I have many a friends and family in law enforcement. Yep out of the many, one that had their mowing service. and yep e en have one that did home improvements. Neither are any longer in business. That's not where their heart truly was. One of them still has their trailer setting on my land. They musta enjoyed meeting me too.

Go ahead, check out my posts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: May 4, 2011