where to start looking

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by niagara, Nov 17, 2006.

1. niagara

niagara LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Hi all. Does anyone here know where I would go to start research on license requirements etc. for a fert&squirt in Ontario? I am just beginning research into suppliers, licenses etc so if anyone has any info they could share or suggestions of where to look, or who to ask, please jump in.

Thanks

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your county Ag extension, should be in the phone book. Ex. mine is johnston county ag extension

3. niagara

niagara LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Ontario Canada. We have a whole different system here---no county Ag etc.

Thanks

4. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

As I understand it, Canada has some very strict regulation and is getting tougher every year. I'm not sure if it varies much with each province but I would research this a ton before I went to the trouble to jump through the regulatory hoops. It may not even be feasible from the standpoint of market-share potential. Take a local LCO to lunch and see what headaches he is going through before making a leap into the biz.

5. niagara

niagara LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Excellent advice. i have just begun the process of researching the idea, so lots to learn yet.

Thanks

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

7. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi Niagara if your still looking into this Requirements for a "landscape exterminator" business I hope you never refer to yourself as a fert and squirt to a customer it not only doesn't sound right it sounds uneducated when dealing with customers. I went through this just over 3 years ago now first things first get your Landscape exterminator lic. if you do not have it already I recommend contacting the Pest institute I'll look around for one of their cards they will take care of most of your book work training as far as what you need to know for the gov. Second insurance if you can find cheaper insurance please let me know there are only 2-3 companies in Ontario that cover spray companies because of Liability but contact Verge insurance brokers they are on Ontario St. in St. Catharines(Your going to be looking at about $5k upfront for 1 million dollars coverage or $7500 for 2mill and make sure that they include the environmental coverage with your policy) . Spray equipment you have a choice there is JB&D custom sprayers they are located up by Markham,On and there is also Rittenhouse sprayers on Fourth Ave <--they have made some big improvements on their spray rigs in the last few years and their prices are much lower than they were in 2003. as for local suppliers for fert, chemicals and signs there is Louth and Niagara Orchards Hwy 55 in Niagara on the lake and The fruit and Vegetable growers on Creek Rd. For the most part it's all paper work wasn't until this season when the MOE actually pulled me over and verified that all my equipment was in excellent running order and then made sure my chemical shed was to regulations. Other than that check out http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/gp/index.htm#pesticides

8. niagara

niagara LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Dragonscapes: Thank you so much. That is just the information I have been looking for. (And by the way, I would never refer to myself as a fert & squirt in front of a customer.)

One other question--do you need a storage area for your chem? or do you just buy as needed and used? I live in a residential neighborhood, and was wondering if I'll have to find a storage arrangement somewhere.

So sorry for the ignorant questions. As I mentioned, I am in the very beginning of the research phase into this.

Thanks again.

9. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Niagara Yes you need a place to store your chemical you can't carry chemical with you other than inside your tank it's one thing to transport it from your supplier to your shed but technically it's illegal to do that since to carry it you should have warning placards and carry a bill of laiding to move it in your vehicle but all the guys at the MOE said they don't have a problem if it's in the bed of your truck and then goes into your shed no stops along the way since these chemicals are a controlled substance. There is a nasty fine if you don't have storage think it's $2500 for a first offence if it's a regular company and something like $10k if your business is a Corporation (which I recommend if your getting into spraying since it will limit your personal liability if something happens but not your Financial Liability unless there are a few people on your board of directors)

I live in a Residential area as well I just built a shed according to the zoning bylaws of my city and made sure it met the MOE req's which say that it must I might be forgetting something off hand but vent to the outside(air), maintain a constant temperature, not drain into soil/sewers or bodies of water,have a warning sign for authorized personel only on it(Louth and Niagara Orchards sells these for like $3.00), and while it isn't needed in most cases according to bill 914 a lock on the shed is a good Idea don't ask me why but there are only 2 types of chemicals that require that the storage area must have a lock and most likely you won't be using them on residential/commercial lawns. The MOE is nice enough to send you a form you get to fill out and send to your local fire Dept. letting them know that there are controlled chemicals at your location.

Just a note the MOE is very very very sloppy and slow when it comes to processing operators lic.'s they have lost my renewal and certified cheques 3 years running bit annoying but make sure if your doing it that you send in for your Operators Lic in Dec if you can to make sure you have it by April.

The only stupid question is the one that is never asked so feel free to ask away.

Haven't found the card for the Pest Institute yet but it is run though the University of Guelph here's a link http://www.uoguelph.ca/GTI/