Where To Start

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by chriscraft, Mar 24, 2006.

1. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys ive been in reg lawn maintenance and landscaping many years. legit LCO and was wanting last couple of years hor you got started in pond buis? Did you take classes offered by companise or viideo, books? or jsut took the bull by the horns. If we do this i want to di it right, i want to add it to our list of services as well as pond maintenance. Any classes courses books that have helped you i would like to hear about, Thanks Glenn AKA RAD LANDSCAPING. Also waht types of problems with ponds do yo uhave down the road in northern areas with the constant frreezes and frosts
  2. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

There are all kinds of ways to look at it. I am sort of doing the same thing. I dug my own 1/2 acre clay bottom pond a few years ago. I absolutely fell in love with it and am laying the groundwork now to begin a new business venture; build ing and rehabbing ponds. I would do more than looking at a training video. I would read everything you can get your hands on. Read about types of construction, plants, aquatic life, and water quality. I personally am interested in developing clay bottom ponds to raise fish. I will install vinyl liner garden ponds but the clay bottom are my favorite. When you don't use a liner you have to start thinking about what will keep the water in the pond basin. Soil content is very important and an experienced excavator in your area is worth his weight in gold.

If you are looking at doing the garden ponds there are a number of kits you can purchase that include everything you need. There is a book on the market The Pond Builders Bible and it might help you. I have learned that successful ponds are all about water quality and the rest takes care of itself from there. Oxygen content is the big thing. You have to keep in mind that fish are the only creatures that live in their own waste and there has to be some way to keep the water clean. Think about equipment also, ponds require excavation and the size of the excavator increases with the scope of the project.

Down here in Tennnessee to avoid freezing in water gardens we can leave our water features running all winter. That way you don't have to winterize and your fish will live. Freezing might not be as big a problem here as it is up north. Good luck. PM me if you want to talk more.....