Where to start

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by crc13, Mar 31, 2006.

1. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

My lawn is in its 3rd year now and I really need to put some time into it. Here is what I have. When the house was built they tore up most of the yard, but left the last 100 feet alone. It was weeds and long grass. I have been maintaining it for a few years, but it is sooooo thick that when I mow, I always have to rake. The other planted grass is ok, but fairly thin. I have a ton of thatch in the thick part. What should I start to use this year to put on the yard? My neighbor's lawn is great and he fertilizes monthly. I guess I need some advise on what to put down or what to do first, second, etc. Thanks in advance.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you should start with a fertilizer w/ pre-m for crabgrass. go with a low nitrogen in the early spring ( I use 13-3-7) late spring (early May) spot spray broad-leaf weeds and apply fertilizer, you can do an early sumer 19-0-6 treatment of the same. then do a early fall 30-3-10 (sept) weed control and fertilizer and a late fall 34-0-15 fertilizer. you want to put a higher nitrogen fertilizer down in the fall, use these numbers as a guide as you may not be able to find the exact match.

3. crc13

crc13 LawnSite Member
    from 54313

thanks for the reply. Are those steps the same as Scotts 1-4? Everyone here uses that, but I don't like to be like everyone else. I want to be better. LOL!

4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

If you have a lesco in your area you could check with them, or a garden center or co-op should have a good quality turf fertilizer. I'm not a Scott's fan either!