Where to start

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by RABBITMAN11, Apr 6, 2008.

1. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay I have a very successful lawn application business, I would like to start making a turn toward the organic side of the business. So I would like to know what you organic guys suggest as a start. I would like info on what to do first to learn, and how to get customers to make the switch?

2. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

look for the forum i made I think called "The Basics"

I have taken what I have learned and tried to put it out there for new guys to be able to learn with out going through a lot of trouble or causing everyone to have to repeat themselves.

Good Luck,

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

You will have a learning curve until you get more comfortable, its just the way it is learning new techniques.

Pick up 2 books
    "Teaming with Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels, great read
    "The Organic Lawn Care Manual" Paul Tukey, great reference book, boring read

Go to the NOFA site www.organiclandcare.net and look at some of the reference material they have there, they have been doing organic lawn care for over 25 years. They have a list of 100 or so companies that are doing it now. Join, its worth it.

Look at Ecological Landscapers Association (ELA) http://www.ecolandscaping.org/ great information great folks

Barefoot James has been calling people for months and talking for hours, "what about this", "How do you do that", "someone said......"

Call Barefoot James and ask him a few questions on how he is set up, he owes us one or two

4. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, I like how you say he owes us, that's funny. But I understand where your coming from with all my many quotes. That's why I'm trying to return the favor.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

start saving rabbit manure, and compost it

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If I only had some Rabbits, so that's your secret
    Mix 1 part rabbit poop with 1 part worm poop, shake well and serve over ice with an olive

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

you got it all except its an onion:waving: