Where to take lawn debris???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MudslinginFX4, Dec 4, 2003.

1. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Where does everyone take their lawn debris? I am talking about everything that you take out of a persons lawn or off of a commercial property. Another company and I used to share a lot just for dumping our stuff but the property that we had we were renting and it is now being sold for over 1 million! Land is too expensive around here so I need you advice.

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

We take most of our lawn debri to a compost site,otherwise we put into veggie garden as long as no chemicals are used..

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I try to mulch everthing that I can to avoid the hassle of collecting and dumping the debris.

Typically the only time I haul anything off is during a spring/fall cleanup, at which point I include a line item for disposal which covers my cost and travel time to the landfill.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for replying so fast!! I do charge a lot to take things off of the property! As long as people are willing to pay, we are willing to haul. Last year I can't tell you everything we moved from doing landscaping projects. We moved trees, bushes, old mulch/pinestraw and everything else that you can imagine. I know there is no way that the dump will take all of this, and also the dump is a good 30 minutes away from all of my contracts. What else can I do? I have looked into one of those open trash things that you can rent.

5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I can dump anything that is less than 1" or 2" (leaves, clippings, etc.) to my town dump free of charge. Anything over they will take, but they charge me. See if you town dump does this. In my area some of the surrounding towns also do it.

6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

We had the same problem with disposing of clippings, leaves, etc. Alot of the farm land is being sold at a premium price. We bought 2 acres for $18,000. Eventually we will be putting a pole building on it. The land won't perc, that's why the great price. I was in the same shoes as you are. I'm making some nice compost! Matt

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The county dump. They have a flat rate of $11 for a pickup.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave everything at the customers curb.

9. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

I have a local farmer that will take anything that I can give him at no charge. He lets it sit and compost until the spring and then spreads it on his field.

10. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Hauling off trash is a tricky business. Really, it is.

Here in my community, I'd say it takes me an average of an hour and half to haul something to the dump, wait in line to dump, dump the stuff assuming it can be dumped quickly and drive back to my area.

In my town, it costs $20 to get into the city dump with a pickup and a landscape trailer.

There is load and unload time too. Sometimes this can easily add another hour or so if I'm working alone and it involves a shovel.

Ok. Fine, as long as I'm a one man shop, it's pretty easy to quote $85 to haul something off to the dump. Home owners hate the price and every time I've quoted it, they've decided I can leave the debris by the curb.

But what if I have a crew member sitting in the truck with me? What if I have two crew members? Or three? Remember, we're not looking to break even on our labor...we have to gross so much more per man hour than we pay out in order to make money.

Going out to the city dump after the crew has gone home for the day isn't an option because the dump is closed.

I really don't know how to quote this chore. So far, I've been able to pursuade everyone to not hire me to do it by quoting $85. And that's just to pay me...not any crew members. If it's going to cost $20 to dump and I have a crew member riding with me for 1.5 hours, I've got to charge something like $110 to $140 to go to the dump for a customer.

What I am really interested to figure out this winter is how the heck I'm going to prune all the crepe myrtles on my customers properties and dispose of the branches?????

Later,
    Meier