Where will the water go ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Hey guys a little help would be appreciated, I recently did a project for a client's new home basically seed,sod,sprinkler,retaining wall. They have a drainage problem at the front of the property next to the driveway. The entire lot slopes to the front and water collects to the left of the driveway about 4 ft x 15 ft of water that stands for at least a week. The problem is there is no where for the water to go it cant go to the street it cant go to the left or right. A french drain is not an option because everything from that point is uphill. So I am at a loss as to what to do. I thought about a Dry Well but I have never done one and would need a little guidance as to how to do one if it would even work.

Your help is appreciated
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

You want it deep, and you don't want it to cave in.

The more vacant space the better.

Rock fills vacant space.

You could use plastic drums, drilled with a catch basin and drain line running down to an opening. Fill the edges with rock.

Some irrigation suppliers have rectangular interconnecting units that could be stacked.

You could vertically stack ADS side by side, cutting 10' pieces to length and standing on end. Don't use a roll, too much curve.

You need a top piece if you do the latter that won't let soil cave in.

I'd put at least one foot of soil over the top if it was lawn.

You only need a 2" or 3" small grate with a tiny pipe leading down - it just needs to be in the low spot. The low spot can have a grate in one area, and lead water via drain line to a cistern over to the side if need be.

Anyhow, I like the hollow tubs, or multiple pieces of ADS because it leaves a lot of hollow area - more water storage. Filling a pit with pea gravel merely takes up 1/2 the area with rock that could have held water reserves instead.

Put a hoard of lime in the bottom and inside - it chemically aggregates soil and can open up more pores over time, increasing the effectiveness with ever time water runs in and leaches outward.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

guy in that pic looks like harrison ford:)
  5. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Thanks guys,
    Team Gopher where do you come up with all your links man

Mdvaden thanks for the info I like the ADS pipe solution what would you recommend to cover the pipe with to keep the soil from caving