Where's all my mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I recently had a new clean-up customer complain that I removed all of the mulch from her beds while doing a clean-up. She wanted me to replace it at my cost. It was a nugget-type bark mulch which I personally don't like (never seems to stay put). I'm sure I did remove some by blowing out the beds, but there wasn't much there to begin with, and it's unavoidable no matter whether you rake, blow or vac the beds out. I ended up buying and installing 2 bags at my cost to make her happy and pay the bill.

So I've added a new limitation to my contract that reads "We will take reasonable measures to minimize the disturbance and removal of mulch materials, if present, from garden beds and paths. The customer, however, understands that some mulch materials may be disturbed and/or removed during clean up activities. The scope of services provided herein does not include the redistribution or replacement of any disturbed or removed mulch materials."

Anyone else ever had this problem? What do you think of my language above?

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Darryl,

That sure does CYA. However, I truly believe that you found the 1 in a million customer to actually b**** about this. If yur contract can still be limited to a page add it, otherwise I believe its overkill.
    We generally re-mulch every year. People ask "where does the mulch go?" I respond "You lose some w/ clean-ups, when cleaning up after pruning and decomposition".

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, I might add, that I don't think it could be worded any better for a contract than how you just put it.

4. Darryl G

I wish all my customers had me mulch every year. Seems they decide to do it themselves, and it usually ends up behind the shed with the bags splitting open because it's been sitting there in the sun so long.

I like mulch jobs and haven't gotten enough so far this year.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the wording is excellent. but isnt it a shame u have to cover every little possible complication, or even ones that only exsist in the customers mind? sometimes being nice sucks! i cant tell u how many times i just want to put it to the customer like it is: why did this happen? cus your property is a rat infested dump, thats why! why does your lawn look so bad? cus your cheap, and incompetant, and u have been trying to take care of it by yourself foer the last 10 years, ive only been here 4 months, im not a magician, now leave me the heck alone! good god, where does it end?

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

:eek:

I've darn near bitten off my tongue to keep from saying this.:dizzy:

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Daryl- I had a woman ***** at me for the EXACT opposite thing a couple years back. I had gone to do the clean-up at her mansion on top of a BIG hill, GREAT view for miles. I'm cleaning out some gardens in back of the house, bunch of pine bark nuggets in them. The woman had made a couple small piles at the edge of the gardens which consisted of weeds, a few bark nuggets, and a bunch of other garbage. I hand picked the nuggets out of the piles and threw them back into the gardens. Woman calls me up a couple days later "why did you put the bark mulch back?... I think we have to part ways"

8. Darryl G

I know what you mean. I expected to get callouses on my hands working in this business, but I'm getting them on my tongue from biting it so much!:D

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Excellent wording Daryl...what a moron she is...I have disclaimers all over my proposals....I try to leave nothing to chance but I never thought about this one...frankly if someone whined about some mulch coming up with the cleanup i'm afraid I would have to tell them bluntly, the facts of life. If someone acts like an anal orafice(like that??? passes the censor test I think!!) then they will get a direct, and not pleasant response from me....I go way beyond nice with all customers....but people like her I have no time for.

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Excellent wording Daryl...what a moron she is...I have disclaimers all over my proposals....I try to leave nothing to chance but I never thought about this one...frankly if someone whined about some mulch coming up with the cleanup i'm afraid I would have to tell them bluntly, the facts of life. If someone acts like an anal orafice(like that??? passes the censor test I think!!) then they will get a direct, and not pleasant response from me....I go way beyond nice with all customers....but people like her I have no time for.