Where's My 10% Discount?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 8, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

last year, i did some volunteer work for the township. i worked the hot dog stand at a concert . a few weeks later, at a party featuring beer, and sangria, while having a few laughs with one of the councilmen, he said he would put an add for me on cable t.v., free of charge, but i'd have to offer a 10% discount to seniors. i said sure, ok. well, i completely forgot about it. last week, a new client i picked up this spring approached me and said she just saw my add on t.v., and that i need to extend this 10% discount to her. AND, she wants it retroactive!! after i stopped laughing, we settled it. question is: should i give her a 10% discount? she didn't mention the add when she called...
  2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

This may seem like a dumb question, but what do you mean by "retroactive"?

3. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Retroactive means putting the discount into affect for previous services rendered. Retro meaning past and active meaning, well active.
  4. Picman

Picman LawnSite Member

theres no way i would make it retroactive, especially since u must have been cuttin their grass b4 the tv add even came out.
  5. birdmann

birdmann LawnSite Member
    from fla

Absolutely not .....she should understand that the discount is like
    a coupon ..she has now givin you the coupon (the advertising) and from here on out she will recieve the 10% off .....

No retroactive ...but then again , how many cuts are we talkin about ..if its 1-3 i may THINK about it ....cause at that point it may be worth to lose the 10% to gain a long term custy ....
  6. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Bob tell her ok 10% from now on because how were you to know she was a senior? That should shut her up.
  7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

10% discount yes, retroactive, no.
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would jus tell her that 10% off is only for new customers, and ha she wants you to give her money back....yea right. Work some deal out so she'll get her 10% but you won't lose a dime.
  9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to see the commercial? or was it just a quick shot of your business card?
    the local channel here offers commercials, that'd be fun, but i don't think too many would see it.

".....Hi, I'm Bob. Got nutsedge? I'm your man. call me within the the next 10 minutes and recieve 10% off kitty litter, i mean fertilizer....":) jk. show the presentation my friend.
  10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: