1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Where's the Hopper's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eagle670, Nov 8, 2004.

1. eagle670

eagle670 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I have noticed that Grasshoppers are not really the mowers of choice on this site. Is there any particular reason why? Is it the price, durability,quality of cut or something else? They look like they are pretty good machines to me.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard good things about them..not sure how big a share of the market they have though.
  3. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I have run 2 Grasshopper front mount mowers over the past 7 years. They are durable, tough, reliable, give a good cut. If there aren't many Grasshoppers, it is probably because the dealers are not really behind them. Here in NW Arkansas, the dealer is really sold on them, and does a good job of convincing the user. There are probably more Grasshoppers in use here by lawn professionals, than any other brand.
  4. rodfather

Not to start an arguement, but I would be extremely surprised if they even come close to sales against companies like Scag, Toro, eXmark, Hustler, JD and/or even Ferris.
  5. mbricker

Key part of that sentence you quoted, Rodfather, "in use here," meaning here in my area. I don't doubt that eXmark and Hustler, for two, outsell Grasshopper nationwide.
  6. rodfather

Gotcha...my mistake
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Since I am a Grasshopper dealer, I thought I might jump in on this. I have no facts to base this on, but I would bet that Grasshopper way outsells Hustler. Grasshoppers are sold worldwide. Many loads of machines are shipped overseas every year, besides all those that are sold here in the states. I don't think Hustler has the production capabilities that Grasshopper does. I think Hustler makes great machines, but they don't have the dealer network that Grasshopper has either.
    I saw a survey somewhere in a trade magazine, and Grasshopper was one of the top 5 most recognized brands of mowers. Hustler was not mentioned.
    If cities, schools, and other public agencies were represented more on this forum, you would hear a lot more about Grasshoppers. These agencies own a lot of them. Just my two cents. :)
  8. rodfather

What I don't understand then Mowingman is that I have been at this full time for 10 years now. We run multiple crews for mowing. I work in both PA and NJ. I have seen one Grasshopper in 10 years and only remember it because it was the color of brown which I have never seen a mower as that color.

I am sure there are regional preferences for mowers no matter where you go, but I can tell you here in the NE, Hoppers are not preferred. Almost everything (and I mean everything) is red...eXmark, Ferris, and Toro. And some orange too for the Scag lovers.

9. mbricker

Here in this area just about every City maintenance dept, or Parks and Recreation dept, use Kubotas. Yet almost no lco's here use Kubota. The government agencies are usually required to go with low bid on equipment. I think the Kubota dealer has managed to sell equipment that way to the cities, although he sure won't work with an individual/small lco on price.

But the dealer here has a reputation for unbelievably cr@ppy service, and I think that is why a lot of lco's here stay away from Kubota. Same dealer also sells Dixie Chopper and Gravely, and was at one time a Walker dealer. Despite the fine reputations of those brands, they never have really caught on here.

The dealer makes a difference!
  10. rodfather

Another thing that amazes me is before I became a member of LS, I had virtually never heard or seen of some other mower manufacturers...to include Grasshopper, Lesco, Bunton, Wright Stander, Dixie Chopper, Gravely, etc. They are absolutely non-existant in my area.

Who the hell knows...