WHERE'S YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

WHERE DO YOU GUYS/GALS MAKE YOUR MOST MONEY? RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMERS OR COMMERICAL CUSTOMERS? HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT GETTING THE BIG BUCK CUSTOMERS? WHAT DO YOU PREFER, RESIDENTIAL OR COMMERICAL? YOUR COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED AS ALWAYS. MOWMAN

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I get all residential jobs but in a town of a population of 3,000 there are not alot of commercial jobs.<br>

3. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

Depends on your definition of &quot;Bread and Butter&quot; We have a few commercial accounts that represent a huge portion of our monthly gross. These accounts are also on contract and have lots of potential for income besides mowing (ie irrigation, palms, landscape maintenence). But these commercial bids are competitive and we make our money there because we are there so long with minimal travel time. If you are talking dollars per hour, residential hands down. We have rezzies paying $40 for a 20 minute cut, $30 for a 10 minute cut and so forth. Lots of people on here say commercial work has less administrative hassles than residentials, but I have not found this to be so, but then again, the first homeowner that gives us trouble we immediately let go. They are simply not worth the added stress and are quickly replaced. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: GrassRoots Lawn Care

4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 8 commercial customers and 32 residentials. I work alone and can do the commercials in 2 days, the residentials take almost 4 days. I make 55% of my income on the commercials. The market here isn't too tight for commercials because most business owners want someone who appears educated and clean cut. And form a complete sentence while delivering an estimate. (ie. take the Metallica hat off and shave at least once a week if you want to hang with me)

5. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Small residential, 15 min. $22.00 . I love to take care of your yard.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Curlawngreen:<br>You charge $22.00 for 15 mins.! Are you nuts?!

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with ya curlawngreen. It doesn't seem like a great deal of money, but those little ones really add up when you think about what little time is involved. We have a lot of residentials ranging from $80 month to over $200. You can do 5 $100 lawns (if they are close) in the time it takes to do a one $200

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

I do strictly commercial.Residential here is<br>a pain in the arse.<p>Karl<br>

9. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Take off the Metallica hat *AND* shave once a week??<p>Man, I *do* have a long way to go... ;)<p>I cut 90% residentials for way too little money. In the $21/hour range, though that'll be $23 starting next month. I'm edging my pricing structure up to see what the market will bear in my area. I've gotten some good nibbles, but the Central Coast of California is the original home of the Mow 'n Blow service (since I'm not allowed to use the word SCRUB anymore :) ). Still, as said, it's time to fish or cut bait around here.<p>My biggest problem currently is too much work. I can't get everything done in an average week and fit in additional services as the same time. The week of the 4th was devastating, and I'll still be making up for it today. It's clear to me now that I need *less* customers for more money if I'm going to succeed in the long haul...<p>-TGC

10. Parrot

Parrot LawnSite Member

i work alone and i have 36 res and 2 comm. the comm accounts are 100 and 150 percut and res avg 50 per cut. i wouldn't mind having more comm, but i've never really went after them. Too busy fishing i guess.<br>