Which 21" Mower ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Will be Restocking Many Tired 21"'s this Season.

Choices are:

New Design Honda HRC....I Really Despise the Old HRC but the New Model Has some Major Improvemenrts (Untested)

26" eXmark Metro....Looks to be Low on Power for Mulching (Untested)

21" Proline/Metro's/Kaw....Tried Tested and True.

There are No Other Options. Commercial Lawnboys are Dead to Me Since the Briggs Replaced the Duraforce...Snappers Can't Mulch and are Second Rate Prolines....JD doesn't have a Commercial Unit any More.

& No Quick 36"'s or Belt Drive 32"'s or Billygoat 33"'s Thank you Very Much.

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You already know the answer. You are going with the Proline with the 6.5. The Honda is a close runner up but as you said it is untested and also there are more parts to break. The Proline is a simple and proven mower. I doubt that you would risk using a mower that "might" be better but "might" also not be as reliable when you have a model that has been doing a good job for many years.

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be willing to give the exmark 26" mower a shot. The additional 5" and only a 30 pound weight difference from a 21" proline should make for a great machine. I agree with your concern that the 6 hp kawasaki may be insufficient for mulching. Then again a lot of people said that the tiny 122 cc Suzuki would not be good for mulching but it has worked well for me. The honda looks very interesting too.

4. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

I Plan on Checking out the New 26" First but their Won't Be Much Grass to Cut...The Belt to Blade will Rob Even More Power off the 6hp...I Doubt it Will Handle Spring Growth...Too Bad.

5. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What a weird kid ..

:dizzy:

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I've gotten good use from my 2 Toro Proline 21's. They each have a 6hp kawasaki.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Could you elaborate about the Honda having more parts to break, I am not seeing that?

8. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go for the hydrostatic 21" Honda. That would be my next 21"

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I love my honda HRX 217. Xenoy deck is awesome. The grass doesn't stick to the underside. I went a whole season and never had to strap out the underside of the deck. 6.5HP Honda has plenty of power. I love the versa-mow. That is some moving parts, but I love being able to mulching 90% and bag the over flow.

10. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

There's a Good Reason Honda didn't Use a Xenoy Deck or Versa Mow on their First New Commercial Mower in 15 Years.

No Homeowner Units...Super Recycler...HRX....Gold Series...etc..Thank You Very Much