Which 21" whould you pick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dashunde, May 10, 2006.

1. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Most of us cringe at the idea of using a 21", but...

My wife is wanting to work with me and she likes the idea of running a 21".
    This works out pretty well since I'm running into calls from people who have a small yard and a fence that I cant get through with a 48" wb - so all of this might work out very well with the wife and a 21" and me doing the trim/edge/blow.

I'm looking at the Toro Personal Pace line, probably the homeowner version that I'll add steel wheels to fairly quick.
    (the 3-in-1 setup). I owned one several years ago, it had the cast alum. deck and it worked pretty well. I hated that it had no side discharge and the drive unit started growling and grinding requiring replacement (was that just a fluke?).
    Obviously I'm willing to look at other options.

Do you have any other recommendations?

2. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

commercial honda 21" hyrdo with bbc

3. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Just depends on how much you are going to use it. Never used one of those units, but your idea of doing everything else while she mows will work very well on small yards.Ive used a cub (src?) for about 4 years now and cant kill it (500.00). Good luck with your choice.

4. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

I have pushed quite a few 21's and I must say that the toro's cut like no other machine. In my mind-they are the boss. Like I said in another post last week- TORO, TORO, TORO!

Not to sound sexist-but if your wife is using it the personal pace is awesome and wont wear her out after a few yards (maybe she can push other units without a problem, I don't know? She may be in better shape than me!?). Just something to consider. Also, don't buy it from Home Cheapo, those models are built with a different deck than what you would get from a Lawn mower shop. I believe they are the thin steel where the real ones are the thick Alum. like you mentioned before. Look into it, get as much HP as you can, good luck!

5. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

We ran the toro 20055 last year (heavy duty home owners model, with alum deck). we had 9 of them, but do to the rear drive problems, we decided to go with a different brand/model this year. I still have all 9, but use them for back ups. We are now using the Airens with the Kaw and front swivel castors. Your wife would be a whole lot less tired running this then the normal push mowers. No pushing the mower handles down to make it turn. With a 3 man crew, we can knock out 30 to 35 a day and the guys aren't real tired. We were last year with the toro's.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The Toro model 20053 might be the way to go. It has the cast aluminum deck which features the 5 year warranty. It is a push mower, not self propelled. They are pretty light wieght and easy to manuever. I've been thinking about one of theese my self.

7. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Ariens!! That is what we use and works out pretty well, a great mower. Has the adjustable speed control so she won't have to go faster than she wants.

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if a woman is going to be using it-you want a honda!(unless you want to start it each time for them)

9. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

honda with casters look at no less..........

10. Mike's Lawn & Snow

Mike's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I bought two honda's a few years back besides the engines they were complete junk to heavy and hard to manuever and parts are ridiculously exspensive now i just stick to the snappers' with honda motors they are awesome machines