which 21"??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iluvbermuda, Jul 4, 2004.

1. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

O.K., I've got 4 yards a week that I have to use a 21" on. Three are thick bermuda and one is a good stand of fescue. I can do them now start to finish in about an hour each(mow, trim, blow, load up and go). I'm using my Snapper 21" commercial with the Robin 6hp. I've got to replace it because its basically not held up like it should have(transmission problems, etc...). I truly hate to spend a grand or more on another high dollar 21" just for these 4 props. What would yall get if in my shoes. Save some $$ and get a non self propelled? Get a cheaper Toro or Honda. Opinions please. Maybe even a Snapper with a Kawasaki or something?:confused:

2. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I wish I could get a Snapper with a Kawasaki, but instead I got a Husky. Great dealer too!

So far, not one problem, starts on first pull and has an excellent cut. I was thinking of the Exmark 21" or the Snapper, but couldn't find any dealers close to me.

-Nick

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

you could try a toro personal pace super recycler.
    its not as durable but still cuts as good as my proline.

4. Grass_Nerd

Grass_Nerd LawnSite Member

I just got a JD 21 for $775. 5 speed self propelled... nice machine.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Iluv, this subject has been beat to death. If you use seach you'll come up with lots of info... That said though, I have a Snapper with the Kawasaki, and it's a beast. I love it. The only probem I could even think of is that it's sorta heavy, But that doesn't bother me.. Cuts beautiful as well.. and they are stone simple(drive system).

6. tazz6584

tazz6584 LawnSite Member

toro personal pace does a great job on mulching bermuda light and holds up well on a 4 lawn schedule

7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If a Snapper with a Subaru/Robin engine didn't hold up for you, you have got to be mowing the whole North slope of the Smokey Mountains.

If the engine is still in one piece, and pretty good condition, it should be a lot cheaper to have your Snapper fixed up by a good shop [dealer] than it would cost to buy a new mower.

I was looking at the personal pace Toro , at Home Depot, this afternoon. It was $369 as I recall, and the plastic front wheels were so weak and wobbly, and the speed control slider mech was too, that my son and I just stood there and shook our heads in surprise that it was so lightly built. That is definatly not a mower that I would want to mow several lawns a week with.

Snapper repair parts are usually very low cost. The Snapper drive system is so simple that a dealer isn't going to charge an arm and a leg to work on it - cause they don't take much time to get apart and back together.

Why don't you get an estimate to fix up your Snapper - from a good shop, not some back alley scmuck at the trailer park, and compare that amount to the total cost of buying a new "cheap" mower like the Personal Pace Toro.

8. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

TXlawnking---is your Snapper a commercial model? Is it self-propelled as well? The Snapper I have has had 3 new transmissions put on it under warranty by the dealer. The warrany ran out in March and its now not working worth a flip. The last price for new transmission, belt, various needed related partsd and labor---$310. And one year later---in need of repairs again. Since the warranty covered the last 3 repairs, I'm just not willing to cover the next one myself and have it break down again, and again. The tranny on this machine is different from all other of the Snapper 21" machines. You can tell by looking at their website. I just don't know if its worth it to get a self-prop since all 4 yards are level. By the way, mine is the one with the 3 speed tranny and not the six speed disc drive. I guess it would have been more reliable.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

ditto what nick said!

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I luv, you have the 21" rear discharge model, correct? I don't think that that thing is built by snapper, of course I may be wrong . Either way, yeah, that one looks like a piece of dung, ( i checked it out online. Mine is the Commercial 21" Hi vac model, or "convertible" with the traditional steel deck. And I don't see how anyone could destoy the drive on it. I've had several snappy's and they are deffinatelly a solid unit.. and the disk drive tranny is very simple and reliable. And a new donut wheel costs maybe 6 bucks if it wears out. included is a pic of mine..