which 30" ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pirogue, Apr 19, 2008.

1. pirogue

pirogue LawnSite Member

I have a gravely, dixon, and hustler dealer all within 20min of my house, and I'm trying to get pointer's on which mower to get.

The dixon spdztr 30" has a great finance plan, unit is small to fit in the corner of my shop and looks like a solid machine.

The 1730xl gravely is also nice a lil bigger, engine may be the weaker link?

Hustler is the better of the three machine's just more money, and bigger.

This unit will be for my personal use only in cutting 3/4 of an acre.

what are the worst of these machines and how would the cut compare among them.

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Curious, why a 30"? Do you have a small gate or something?

Also, if you gave us the prices you were quoted, we might be able to recommend something better.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a hard time imagining a 30" ZTR but I don't know your situation. Get the one you want. Don't let price dictate your decision (with in reason). As far as I know Hustler does fine in that area. Why so small? I would recommend a walk behind in that size range I think. Maybe a stander but I can't imagine a 30" ZTR. Maybe you need two mowers, one for larger property's and one for small gates.
  4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I know the Dixon is by far the cheapest and they have a 3 year warranty now, I hope this is your back up mower to go through gates because it is going to take a while to tackle a big yard with that thing...lol. I think people look kinda funny on that thing compared to the big machines...Bad Boy has a 36" machine with 2800 transaxle and 26hp motor for $4495. I believe the Dixon comes in around $2995 though....big difference in the two.
  5. pirogue

pirogue LawnSite Member

The lawn mower will be used to cut only my yard. I have a shop with 2 boats in and like the fact I don't have to move the mower out of it's spot to pull the boat out.

[​IMG]priced at $2999

[​IMG]priced at $3000

[​IMG]priced at $3600

thanks for all the reply's:drinkup:
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well, when I was 15, my first ZTR mower was a 30" Dixon! They were cone drive then, but it was a pretty nice machine, "commercial" model, has a 14hp Kohler. I can't even begin to count how many people around these parts have used 30" Dixon mowers for YEARS.

I actually bought a new one here a coupe years ago, for back yards, etc. but the cut was just NOT good, and because it's a homeowner model the engine governor is preset at about 3200 rpm, no load, dropping to less than 3000 rpm with the blade running. I ended up taking it back to the dealer and getting my money back.

I think the gravely and hustler should give a little better cut, but at least with the hustler, you better not be too tall. They are pretty tiny machines, not much legroom. I'm 6'4" and I can't even get on the 36" hustler.
  7. pirogue

pirogue LawnSite Member

Jason, thanks alot for the reply, that's kinda what I want to hear. I have a 2003 zeeter 30" which is close to the same deck but not identical, and the cut on it is marginal, never had another mower to compare it though. I was leaning on the dixon though, I may have to really consider the others.

Does anyone have first hand expirience with the new dixon spdztr 30.
  8. retrodog

We sell them, and I go through a couple every couple of weeks. These commercial guys are buying them for the back yards and stuff. I have mowed on a new one a couple of times, and its definately not what I am used to on the Bad Boy's. Its feels really fast because its so small, and the one blade is a little weird for me, but other than that its prolly worth the money for what its for, and the 3 year warranty helps alot with the one cylinder Briggs and little hydro set-up. I try to talk all of them into getting the 34" Black Bear, its full blown commercial unit with a Kawasaki motor, but its almost doudle the price of the 30", so I usually get shot down trying to switch people. The Gravely definately looks better in the pictures...lol
  9. retrodog

here is the Bad Boy 36" with a 26hp Briggs ELS, 7 guage deck with electric lift deck, 2800 transaxle, built waaaaay better than any other mower out there for the price. $4495 with 0% for 2 years, 2.9% for 3 years, or my favorite 6.9% for 60 months. The 6.9% option your payment will be $88 a month with $0 down, and you can always pay more when you got it. Just trying to help you out and get you something that will last forever. The Black Bear is around $5000, but you get the Kawasaki FH Twin with it.

ppt t .jpg

dixon black bear.jpg
  10. pirogue

pirogue LawnSite Member

nice mower, but there's no dealers within 250 miles of me. I like the intro on there website:drinkup: