Which 32" walk-behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ZaK18, Feb 26, 2004.

1. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

I need your opinion to help me choose my first wb. The models I'm looking at are the, Toro recycler belt-drive w/ floating deck and T-bar, Snapper hydro, Exmark metro or viking.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Belt and hydro are apples and oranges. Cost no object? Exmark viking 32".

3. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

cost really isnt a issue! Are there many advantages to getting a hydro vs belt?

4. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

HYDRO COST MORE TO REPLACE THAN BELTS
    HYDRO MOWER COST MORE
    HYDRO CAN CUT WHEN GRASS IS WET
    BELT CAN SLIP IF THEY GET WET
    BELT EASIER TO MAINTAIN
    WHY NOT GO WITH A 36 IN WB?
    IF YOU ARE GOING WITH A 32 OR 36 I WOULDNT WASTE THE MONEY ON A HYDRO. IF YOU GO WITH A 48 THEN I WOULD CONSIDER HYDRO, BUT GOOD LUCK GETTING INTO BACK YARDS. AT LEAST WITH A 36 YOU CAN GET IN THE BACK YARDS WITH OUR NEEDING A PUSH MOWER

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my 32" exmark is so old, mac looks like a teenager standing next to it. belt drive, 12 hp kawi, cuts wet grass, tall grass, rocks, you name it. love it

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I sometimes wish I had gotten a 32" instead of my 36", now that I have a 60" LazerZ. The 32" would go in 100% of the backyards, no prob. As it is now, once a week I must drag out the 21", sure would be nice to be able to leave it home.

As for belt vs. hydro, hydros are quicker, easier to handle, less fatique, more productive being they are a true zero turn, where belt is not. Belts are still beasts that will cut for years, but if price is no matter, get a hydro.....they cost more for a reason.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the exmark hydro. I have a 32 toro belt, but in the next year am going to get the exmark hydro. Hydro will be alot faster, and time is money.

8. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

This isn't what you asked about - but is a real interesting alternative.

Gravely has a new Z rider they call the 34-Z. Here is why I think it's a real interesting .

1. Its price is the same as their 36"hydro walk - $3995 and you said price is not a facter to you.

2. It has a 5 1/2 inch deep, 7 ga. thick steel deck, with the same spindles they use in their 60 inch riders - This is a terrific mower deck. 18,500 bl. tip speed !

3. The deck is floating type , which is unusual in this small size mower. Do the other walk behinds have a floating deck in this size ? The height of cut is set with the foot pedal lift - almost instantly. Most walk pro mowers take much more time and effort to change height or lift over a curb etc.

4. I checked the overall length of some 32" to 36" walk behinds and they were mostly 80+ inches. The 34 Z Gravely is only 75 inches long. Since the operator is behind an 80 inch long walk mower, it won't be able to manuever in tight quarters as easy as the much shorter rider that has its operator sitting mid ship.
    Also, since the operator is sitting not standing, they get under trees with low limbs much easier !

5. The 34-Z has a 15 hp Kawasaki engine, and most walks this size use a 13 hp engine. It also has 21 inch dia. rear drive tires, most walks use a 13 to 16 inch dia. tire.

6. The Gravely uses separate Hydro gear pumps and wheel motors, not the cheaper IZT or AZT combo pump/motor units that you find on most of the cheaper "homeowner" Z riders. The Gravely is built commercial grade in every aspect of the machine.

Sorry for the long post - especially since it's not what you asked about to compare, but I thought the Gravely 34Z rider has some neat qualities that you might not be aware of.

9. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Sam

Thanks for the input. I looked at the 34Z online and I must say that is a nice mower. YOUR MAKING MY DECISION DIFFICULT!!!!!!!

10. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

Since never owning a walkbehind is adjusting the height on a fixed deck a pain to do?