Which 36" Mower to get??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Apr 10, 2006.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in need of a 36" walk behind for properties w/ crazy slopes. I can get an Exmark, Scag or Better Quick. I'm not going to be cutting the lawns and my employee has used belt drives before so he's ready to cut w/ anything. They are all kinda near each other in price...once you factor in shipping w/ the Better (I'm going to have hit shipped to my door). Just wanted to get some input before I drop 2000 - 2500 bucks.

Oh, yeah...it the basic Fox I'd get or basic belt drive on other brands...no floating deck, hydro, etc...just bare bones.

v/r
    Gary

2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Try the Gravely 36" wb

3. jklemz

jklemz LawnSite Member

If you have it drop shipped to your door who will service it if you have problems? I would stay far away from that. I would go with a Scag, they are virtually bullet proof.

4. nitro121

Luckily my friend is the mechanic/golf course employee at the golf course on the Military base I work at full-time. So once my Hustler warrenty is done on the ZTR he'll be taking care of any issues w/ that....so the Better service stuff isn't too big of an issue w/ me....although I could be crying about it in the future.

v/r
    gary

5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your nearest simplicity dealer, I pick-up a brand new pacer from them for $1,800 with a mulch kit, and bagger. The unit is hydro too, twist knob to raise and lower the deck you don't have to mess with spacers on this unit.

6. nitro121

Thanks for the tip. That looks like something I could use....and a dealer 30 miles from my house has one in stock. I'd probably get the Better 36 but this thing has electric start and a bigger engine. I just have to take my trailer out there and make sure it fits. Now I'm going to call and bid on these accounts.

v/r
    Gary

7. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Yeah, get metro and make peanut money...what a waste getting belt walk. FYI, I sold my 2002 36" Metro almost 2 years ago after 2 brutal hot summer wrangling with belt walk. Well, it got me started and alive but...never do that route AGAIN :hammerhead:

9. nitro121

I have no problem w/ that. Luckily I'm not cutting the yards this year but I guess I'd better try to make it easier on my employee. If the Better or Simplicity lasts 2 seasons I'll be happy. So far it'll only be on a few yards I was scared to bid on cause I didn't want my guy to have to use the 21" and take forever. But it seems like I'll use it more and more.

I have 20K fliers going out this month. If I get enough yards to hire my guy a helper I was thinking of getting another walkbehind and using a setup like JustMowIt's...and you know just sell the things after a couple seasons and buy new ones.

v/r
    Gary