Which 36 to add to the fleet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jpotter0135, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jpotter0135

jpotter0135 LawnSite Member

Hello all! I just signed up after seeing site around New England Grows this past February. We are looking to add at least one 36 inch mower to our set up if not two.

Last season we ran two guys with a John Deere 60 inch ztr, a wright stander RH 52 inch, and older bobcat WB 48, with a 21 inch snapper Push. That was our production crew set up and it went well. We have about 40 accounts from wide open areas, steep hilly properties, to a few gated pool areas.

We have expanded and picked up a ton of more lawns this year and need to add a 36 inch mower WB. I hate the bobcat and want to steer away from that brand. We are looking at The Ferris pistol, the Exxmark, scag 36, and the wright WB.

Ive always been a big fan of the Ferris WB pistol grip but have only used the 48 and 52 inch ones with the big tires. Does anyone have a 36? How is it on laying stripes? Hills?

Any input on any of these machines?

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a few emark 36" vikings. Hydro with ECS controls. I will tell you this, I had used pistol grips all my life and once I started using the ECS it was like night and day. Much easier to use and not as hard on your hands. It is a very versatile mower, we run only exmark but I have used a few others and I like exmark the best personally. Scag is a close second however. Ive never used the Ferris or the wright wb but we do also have a wright stander 36 that is also very versatile but not as good on hills as the WB is.

3. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

eXmark Turf Tracer 36" with ECS controls. You will love that mower!

4. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

ECS grips on the exmark are arguably the most comfortable of them all. Cut quality will be very high and they're pretty much bulletproof, fixed deck is fine on a 36 as it's extremely hard to scalp with a 36. IMHO, floating deck on 36 is a waste of money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jpotter0135

jpotter0135 LawnSite Member

Of course we run all Hydros forgot to add that!
    On bigger decks I prefer the floating deck but 36 Im not worried about it. With the ECS controls how is it on hills compared to a pistol? I feel like you can muscle it a bit more so the deck wont flop up and you can hold it straighter. What about adjusting cut height on the exmark? With the bobcat is was the washers on the wheels, blade, or taking and lowering the whole deck which is awful! The ferris has the quick crank to adjust.

6. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark with Ecs, if you're just looking to get the best 36, that's it. Bobcats are okay, I have a 48, and I'm not looking to get anymore.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Grab a ferris DD 36 you will be happy.

But… it's going to be less nimble than a fixed deck mower. But if changing heights bugs you then you need a floating deck…because all fixed decks adjust the way you described with your bobcat.

I don't think wright has a WB with a floating deck in 36", do they?

8. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind Ferris controls aren't the best for him as he somewhat indicated that he has lots of hills...

I think they do but its belt drive if I'm not mistaken..?

9. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking for a quick height adjustment get the floating deck as stated earlier. And even then it wouldnt be much more expensive I dont think. Even then, the ECS controls atleast for me was a big selling point as to why we went with exmark

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Lots of hills…whats wrong with Ferris controls for hills?