which 36" to buy??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhaysmow, Jan 28, 2006.

1. mhaysmow

mhaysmow LawnSite Member

i need a new wb this year and am going to get a 36 to get through gates. I have looked at great dane hydro for $2900 and a gravely belt drive for $2500
    i was wondering if any of ya use either of or know much about either mower its not gonna be used for very many yards only about 6. Im a big believer in the hydro but i like how easy it is to adjust the deck height with gravelys deck
    thanks for the info
  2. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

Gravelys 36 is awsome, however i have the hydro. Belt sucks for the most part, but its a small mower and if you dont mow on hills much i guess belt would be ok. If your serious about making money cutting grass you should go the extra and get the hydro with single wheel vulcky, two wheel might work havent tried yet but plan to this summer. I hate the line a one wheel leaves. Hydro is much easier to use because you dont have lock a clutch into reverse. I have mine setup with pro grips. Its just like running a zero turn. I can get into all the little nooks and crannys of yard that bigger mowers cant and I ble to get in out of a yard in no time with the velcky. I dont know if I would try using one on a belt drive.

thats my 2cents
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The 2005 Great Dane Super Surfers I've used have a terrible cut. If they have the same deck, I would go with the Gravely. The height adjustment is very good on the Gravely.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the statement about hydros vs belt. If you can afford the extra coin, get the hydro. More control and no fade over time from belts wearing out.
  5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I would go with a lesco 36'' belt or hydro, quality is great and so is the price. check them out at www.lesco.com
  6. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 37" Hustler WB that I am selling. I am in OKC and would be willing to meet you half way. By the way, I have had a 36" toro belt and this Hustler and the hydro will run circles around the belt. Once you go hydro, you won't go back to belts.
  7. wes_penn

wes_penn LawnSite Member

I have a 44" gravely belt drive and love it but if i had to do it again i would spend more money on a hydro, they're worth it. Demo the great dane and see how the cut is.
  8. mowforyourmoney

mowforyourmoney LawnSite Member
    from kc

i'd go with the gd i'm buying a 36in scamper on tue. for 3120.77 after tax and it has dual hydro (tricky tricky)