1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which 36" walk-behind to get?? Help.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DillonsLawnCare, Oct 29, 2007.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

hey guys, i need a 36" walkbehind and plan on getting it this christmas or next fall. ive been looking at many many makes and models.

ill either get a toro, quick36, or an exmark. havent decided. but, the eXmark has the ecs!! i want a hydro.

what do you guys use out there? whats reliable?

2. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

We have one of Exmark's 36'' Turf-Tracer HP's. It has been a great mower for us. Excellent quality of cut, small, but quick, and very easy to get around a yard with. The ECS is very easy to master. I am 230lbs. and the Hydro's have plenty of power when using the Velke. The 15KAW on the 36'' deck is a solid combination.
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

If you currently have a Toro and are happy with it, stay with what you know and like.
  4. chillman

chillman LawnSite Member

I am looking for the samething. After alot of research I think i am going with the quick 36 samurai. Doesn't seem like you can beat it for the money
  5. DillonsLawnCare

ok, well with the toro, all they offer is the pistol grip and the new t2. the prices are through the roof for the t2.

the controls on the quick 36 are weird. it looks like it cant do a full complete 36o degree turn. and that you have to turn the mower with body strength. am i right? its only got one pistol grip lever on the right hand. its weird.

am i correct on my observation?
  6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I will soon be in the market for a 36 too! I looked at the quick 36 and it seems like a geat mower but I have some big hills and I don't know if the single hydro will do it. I too think you have to turn it manually are we correct?? I am leaning towards exmark, lesco, or toro,
  7. DillonsLawnCare

everything is so expensive. well, atleast the hydros are.

the 36" viking with 15hp kawi is $4,599. and the stand on is $399.

thats expensive. i mean 5 grand for a little 36" fixed deck mower. for a thousand more i can go get a far more better ztr. i dont get it.

i want to buy this mower new, but im kind of hesitant now!!

anyone feel this way or feel the opposite??

thanks for the input so far.
  8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had 2 WB's, both Exmarks. I bought a 36" Metro earlier this year thinking that it would be all I needed for a WB. I was wrong. While Exmark builds a quality machine, belt drives aren't worth a crap for your smaller yards. Reverse is a joke after the belts get a couple hours of wear on them. Finally, about a month ago, my dealer gave me a great price on his Exmark TTHP demo which had 18 hours on it. I traded in my Metro and have been kicking my self in the butt for buying a belt drive to begin with. I have had limited experience with a single hydro, but I can tell you that they dont turn as easily as a dual hydro machine. While they cost a little less than a Z a WB has it's uses esp when it been raining a lot and you don't want to run the risk of rutting up a yard with a heavier machine among other things.
  9. Langford2000

Langford2000 LawnSite Member

Hey Dillon, Just been seeing your last several posts and I saw that you just rented a lazer 60" and now your in the market for a 36"? Not being an a$$ but what do you actually NEED? I see you already run a 52 belt. I also noticed that you had to carry you handhelds on the ztr that you rented. If you run two machines are you going to have to go back home to trade machines or are you going to have a way to move your equipment? I know what its like to get bitten by the "new mower" bug and trust me the old, faded and PAID FOR mower will cut just as good as the new shiny mower that you have to make payments on.

That being said - I run a 36" TTHP and can actually give my 61" a run for its money on anything tight or smaller than 1/2 acre. I will most of the time run my TTHP and let my helper use the ztr just because of the manuverability. As far as a sulky the wright velke x2 works great.

Again I don't want to discourage you and your ventures but if your smart about it and make wise, careful decisions with your business and money, then the sky is the limit.
  10. DillonsLawnCare

no, see i rented the lazer for the weekend. i dont have it anymore. i need a 36" for smaller yards. i have to push mow them currently and im rutting up small 1/4 acre lots without fences with my belt 52" that cant make a zero turn!

ive already justified a 36", now i just got to buy one. and i was planning on paying cash for it. no financing for me. debt = not good.

so, with all this being said, ill buy used.